PDA

View Full Version : Fluids and refractions

remco_t
02-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

I've been trying to get fluids to do what I want them to do, but so far I've not come far. I need to be able to see and render fluids while they're behind a transparant (refractive) object, but the fluid won't be seen. I've already figured out that by default the checkboxes "visible in reflections" and "visible in refractions" are ticked off, but even when I enable that fluids still won't render behind a refractive surface... When I place an object behind the fluid and render, the object is visible in the refraction, as if the fluid isn't there.

edit/ some more clarification:

tried setting raytrace depth as high as 100, doesn't have any effect
using regular Maya materials (lambert/blinn) the fluid is visible in refractions, but I need/want the material controls of the mia_material

mandark1011
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
thats probably where the problem lies. Fluids play very well with software or native maya shaders but not so much with the mia shaders.

Cainor
02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Your best chance to get this to work is by using default Maya Shaders to get what you want and work with it in comp. I have never had luck with fluids and mia shaders.

Duncan
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
In the rendersettings under extra feature enable autoVolume (although I don't know why that is required).

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.