PDA

View Full Version : Learning Max from Maya

f3rry
10-19-2003, 04:14 AM
Good day to you all...

I have just a chance to try Max 5 recently and I have been a Maya user before. I wanna try to use it for diversed skill and I have the chance to... So don't think about good/bad comparison/ those bull $h#t stuff, ok?

Can anyone recommend the good article/tuts to start? Hold the flame.... I know most of the technique in modeling, edge loop, NURBS, curve, spline, principles of lighting, materials etc, So what I need to know is different ways of doing it in Max. The F1 solution is gonna take me forever repeating the terms I understood already. I know the principles of Char rigging, setups and skinnning (especially the Maya way) and I can do it comfortably in Maya and I am interested to know hoe to do it in Max.

I'm up to the get around the viewport technique and simple modeling. I'm curious about rigging, skinning and rendering in max and not interested in dynamic at all (not now)

I only have this copy for 3 months so there is no point for me to browse the entire www to find suitable tuts, especially when someone has done it before (I bet someone did).

I had the luxury to try cinema 4D and I managed to get around it really fast. I heard Max has done some works to make it working similary with other softwares.

Thank you for your time....

artistx
10-19-2003, 04:36 AM
Hello F3rry. I've worked in maya a little and max so I can tell you some similarities between the two. Here are some rough equivalents.

Maya Max

Blendshape = Morph Shape

Set Driven Key = Wire Parameters

Shader editor(Hypershade?) = Material Editor(Material Tree)

Function Curve Editor = Track View (Function Curve option)

Dope Sheet = Track View (Edit Range view)

MEL = Maxscript

Nonlinear animation = Max w/ Character Studio

I think Max 5 has the same transformation gizmo as Maya, but the axis is different. If I remember correctly Maya's Y is up and down, but in Max it's Z. Obviously, there's more, but if other bilingual users contribute more tips you should have a good Rosetta stone by the end of the thread.

jum'bok
10-22-2003, 08:11 AM
someone posted this over on polycount a few weeks ago, might help

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/file/3dmax_to_maya.pdf

sigma
11-04-2003, 07:06 PM
I just recently moved from Maya to Max 6 and Im trying to make the transition as smooth as possible.

1. One of things im finding difficult is when editing vertex's. The Gizmo ( aka: Translate in Maya ) doesnt move with the vertex when you move them. Is it possible to have it move with the selected vertex?

2. Another issue is the bounding box that is displayed when an object is selected. Is it possible to disable that box with the white cornered edges?

3. And one more thing. The viewport controls, right now i have the middle mouse button controlling the pan and rotate ect.. but is it possible to change that to the left mouse button?

Just curious.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.