PDA

View Full Version : object stays in place when active is on

Eddepet
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I have this ball key animated. Its a rigid surface and i set active key off until it has to be affected by gravity.

When i do this at the start of the timeline it seems to work well, but when i try this at say frame 150, the ball stays in place when i turn active on? The gravity doesnt affect the ball at all.

Your suggestions please

Thanks in advance.

gmask
02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you sure that gravity is connected to the rigid body?

Select the ball and go into Window>Relationship Editors>Dynamics Relationships and under fields you should see the gravity field highlighted

Eddepet
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for answering,

Yes the gravity is connected. As i said, it works fine at the start of the timeline, but at frame 150 it doesn't.

ZeitG
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
for example try to set "rigid solver -> start time" at frame 149. What happened? :)
for RBD sim you need to set start position of your time-slider to the frame 1, or set "rigid solver -> start time" right, otherwise the simulation will incorrect.

hope this help.

Eddepet
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for answering ZeitG.
Yes i allready found out that when i connected the gravityfield at frame 1 everything works. Why i didn't know, but your answer about the rigid solver explained that to me.

Thanks once again!

gmask
02-08-2011, 04:56 PM
for example try to set "rigid solver -> start time" at frame 149. What happened? :)
for RBD sim you need to set start position of your time-slider to the frame 1, or set "rigid solver -> start time" right, otherwise the simulation will incorrect.

hope this help.

That's really not a solution, what's the point of setting a keyframe for active if you have to set the the start time to be the same? Something else is the problem.

I was able to create a sphere, make it and activebody, add gravity and then go to frame 150 and set two keyframes to make it active and that works... just fine as expected.

One thing to check is that if you had memory caching turned on and your played the timeline before you set your keyframe then it will ignore the keyframe and continue to fall from the first frame.

So under Dynamics>Solvers>Memory Caching choose delete and disable and run the simulation again with the start frame at 1 and your keyframe at 150

ZeitG
02-08-2011, 05:45 PM
by the way, i mean something else.
for example: I have RBD simulation and in my rigidSolver "start time" attr set to 1. After that I set start time of "Range slider" to 50, and what i see? my RBD sim is incorrect. right?
I mean that, if you want to have simulation correct, you need to set "start time" = start time "range slider". that's all.

gmask
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
by the way, i mean something else.
for example: I have RBD simulation and in my rigidSolver "start time" attr set to 1. After that I set start time of "Range slider" to 50, and what i see? my RBD sim is incorrect. right?
I mean that, if you want to have simulation correct, you need to set "start time" = start time "range slider". that's all.

I get that but that doesn't answer the problem at hand.. I'm pretty sure he wasn't getting the expected results because he had memory cache before he set his keyframe.

Eddepet
02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Gmask, i think you are right. I run again into a problem that the ball didn't bounce when it dropped on the floor. Your suggestion of deleting and disable cache helped me out, but the next time i ran the simulation it happened again and at this moment it doesnt work.

Anyway thanks! i''ll try further on to see what's the problem

Thank both of you guys!

Eddepet
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Well, i had to start the animation again from frame 1 and now it seems to work...

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.