PDA

View Full Version : Maya: How to rig pearl necklace

jakeveracruz
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone!

First of all, I'm new here at cgsociety and i find the forums very helpful for students like me. So i'd like to say thanks, you guys rock!

Moving on, is there anyone here who knows or has any idea on how to rig a pearl necklace of a character? I thought i'd have to put a bone in each pearl so that it doesn't deform like soft bind. Now the question is how do I control the bones like an IKspline? I tried using IK spline and put clusters on it. I noticed that the end of the hierarchy is always affected every time I moved a cluster, so the pearl detaches to the other end of the hierarchy. It's kind of confusing but i hope you guys get the point. I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks! :D

shinyprem
02-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Hi..!
Use a curve going around the necklace as a wire deform er. The cv's can be used to control the necklace locally.
Rgds,

klevinlaforteza
02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
i also thought prem's advice. but you still need to put a joint for each pearl so that they dont deform right?

anyway i found a way to solve your problem.

step1. i created the joints and bound each pearl to their corresponding joints.

step2. created a curve around the necklace. duplicated it and put an offset. then i lofted the curves so i'd have a surface which i would then create a hair into. i deleted the curves since i just needed the follicles. i then parented each joint to the corresponding follicle. as of that moment you can control the joints by moving the cvs of the surface.

step3. i selected a loop around the neck which is as close to the shape and position of the necklace. then go to modify>convert>poly edges to curve. this process actually creates a curve which follows the loop you have selected(i suppose the body geometry is already bound to your skeleton)

step4. use the created curve as a wire deformer to the surface which controls your necklace. and you're done.

i don't know if it's the best solution but i still hope it helps.

Stellios
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
path constrain the pearls and use wire deformer

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.