PDA

View Full Version : any Maya <-> Messiah users out there?

SheepFactory
10-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi Guys ,

I hate to start these kind of threads but here goes:

If you are a maya user also using messiah on the side can you please tell me what can I do in messiah that i cant do in maya?

How is the f-curve editor & dope sheet editor compared to maya's?

is it easy to transfer animation between the two? (any thoughts on messiah studio renderer would be appreciated also)

Is it easier to rig and setup the controls in messiah than in maya?

what was the learning curve for you?

thanks in advance.

I know there is a demo available but I really dont have the time to download and play with it for at least 3 weeks :)

Ali

tjnyc
10-20-2003, 05:04 PM
I haven't been using Messiah for long, but I think the dopesheet and f-curve in Messiah is equal to Maya, and Compose is by far better than Trax. Setup and rigging is fast, flexible and simple in Messiah than in Maya. Going back to add or makes changes to your rig is simple and having the ability to test deformation on the model during the rig setup phase really kicks butt. The speed is quite excellent, stuff that would crawl in Maya has little performance hit in Messiah. No need to have lo-res(parented volume geometry to rig)->mid-res(lo res subD model)->hi-res(hi-res SubD model) setup in Messiah as you would have to have in Maya, because the mid-res and hi-res works well enough that you don't need to have a placment lo-res model setup in Messiah. Learning Messiah wasn't hard at all, as long as you are familiar with rigging and deformation in general, understanding Messiah won't be difficult, but I had a great learning primer from Joe Cosman's Rigging CD.

I haven't tried the Maya connection yet, so I can't comment on it.

You really have to play with the demo and do some of the tutorials to get a feel for the app. I'm just glad that I don't have to paint joint influences anymore.

maks
10-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Wow, that was quite an interesting comparision! I don't know Maya much myself, but while I love messiah, and I'm convinced that it has some great power, I was always wondering how it compares to the "big boys" in the animation business... Now I would like to know how it compares to XSI ;)

M.

SheepFactory
10-22-2003, 07:35 AM
thanks for the comparison , i'll take a closer look at the demo

FKMaster
10-24-2003, 02:09 PM
-you can control a object with more funtkion....you can use keyframe, couple of expressions
motiondynamic at the same time.....
-you use ik, fk, blendshapes or another charactersetup on one character.....
-in maya i need for real feedback an playbast forcharacteranimation....i can use dynamics and
softbody on character in realtime....
-iīve got a scene in maya with 2fps and in messiah i play the same character in realtime plus
audio-wave an an another character....
-the trax-editor isnīt really good in maya....
-the graph-editor im messiah is more useful and easier
-the expressions are simple and powerful...you can controll world coordinates or/and parent
coordinates at the sama time with differnt expressions
-after animating...you can change setup or skinning

character rig in messiah is really great...you can combine everthings at anytime...
speed rocks! fast/real feedback is more fun for animate...
its not easy for maya-user to use messiah at the first time....but try it...
i never wonīt back to maya for characteranimating....
you can also animate everthing with maya, but in messiah is more fun.

cheers

Shinova
11-01-2003, 02:25 AM
Is Messiah a full-featured 3d animation software?

gsuttor
11-01-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Shinova
Is Messiah a full-featured 3d animation software?

The Short answer is a definite, YES!!

Some words spring to mind.
Innovative, deep, friendly.

Would you like the long answer?
Maybe some specific questions you have.. hmmmm?

Geco
11-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by gsuttor
... Some words spring to mind.
Innovative, deep, friendly. ... ... and fast! http://geocities.com/kl_aktuell/temp/wink.txt

Shinova
11-01-2003, 10:05 AM
I was thinking how does Messiah's modelling, character animation capabilities, materials, rendering, etc, all that compare to Maya's.

SheepFactory
11-01-2003, 03:00 PM
messiah has no modeller. so you have to use a modeller to get your models in messiah (ie: wings 3d , etc) Its an animation package , If you get the studio version it also comes with a real nice renderer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.