PDA

View Full Version : Fake caustics

Funky
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Hello

I would like to make a fake caustics, like those we can see near a glass, or a bottle... I need to make an animated one and caustics/Gi is too much time consuming..
Does someone has any idee?

Thanks for help.

Nems.

TLangas
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I've not done caustics for a while now, but you could attempt to use specular only spot lights and animate them separately.

Or use a single spot light and mask the specular with an image.

Ohmanoggin
02-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I've done it with a spot light using the "slide projector" shader:

1. Create a spot light and select the light.

2. Open the render tree and select Nodes / Light / slide projector.

3. On the slide projector ppg select a texture (or sequence) that will simulate the caustic illumination. Most likely you will be making a black and white texture, where the white portion is caustic projection.

4. Connect the slide projector to the color or intensity node of the soft_light shader, or you can connect it directly the the lights material node.

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin

Funky
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you Ohmanoggin for taking time to respond.

But What i really nead is the "the texture that will simulate the caustic illumination". I konw it exist a program that do pool caustics texture but i didn't found something that can do it for objects 's caustics. Of course you will tell me it depend on the object's shape but who know... someone clever has done the trick ;)
Finally i used the photon's caustics.

Any way thank you.

1. Create a spot light and select the light.

2. Open the render tree and select Nodes / Light / slide projector.

3. On the slide projector ppg select a texture (or sequence) that will simulate the caustic illumination. Most likely you will be making a black and white texture, where the white portion is caustic projection.

4. Connect the slide projector to the color or intensity node of the soft_light shader, or you can connect it directly the the lights material node.

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin

ShaderOp
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin
Clever trick. Thanks for sharing it :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.