PDA

View Full Version : Memory and CPU usage while baking results of simulation

oneFoolsArmy
02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum and I am in desperate need of some expert help on this one. I am trying to calculate a rigid body simulation of some poker chips being pushed across a table using Maya 2011 64bit on a Windows 7 machine. My problem is I can't seem to get Maya to use the full resources available from my machine to process the simulation. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I'm trying to render or bakeResults, my CPU Usage sits at about 12% of my quad-core and I'm only using 2.8 GB of RAM out of 8. As I'm sure you can imagine it's taking me forever to get any results with this type of performance. I have tried every render performance attribute or command line flag I could find to try and boost this usage but I have come up with no success. This has frustrated me for days, please let me know if there is a why to force Maya to use all available power to run the simulation.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

eaclou
02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
All I can think of is to try the Batch Render option box, and type in the number of cores manually (8 if you have an intel processor with hyperthreading)

oneFoolsArmy
02-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks eaclou, I will give that a try. I had been planing to bake the simulation so that the baked objects could than be pulled into another scene for the final renders, but if it turns out that the batch command is the only way to speed things up than maybe I will have to do things the other way around.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2011, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.