PDA

View Full Version : Looking for courses in NYC

Thearetical
02-04-2011, 05:37 AM
My family is planning on moving to New York City within the next couple of years, and I'm interested in going back to school for CG, 3D, and/or technical artistry. I've already started to teach myself with books, tutorials and the like...but I find that classroom instruction is more impactful for me, as are the community connections I get out of it.

That said, I'm not as interested in modeling or animation as I am in texturing, lighting, fluid dynamics, hair and fur, and particle effects. I really like the idea of doing Animation Mentor remotely to get the basics of animation, but for the rest of it, I'm wondering what school(s) in NYC might offer the best instruction? Preferably a school that doesn't accept just anyone with the cash...I'd rather go to a discerning school that takes only those who are really serious. I don't care whether I get a degree either, a certificate would be fine.

Does anyone have any advice on good schools in the area I can look at? Thanks for your help!

PhilipeaNguyen
02-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Honestly, for what you're looking for (Particles/Dynamics/Rendering?) you may be better served crafting the core of your learning out of the wealth of online resources available like Gnomon's catalog, ESC's online training, FXPhd, CMI has a really nice selection of Houdini training videos which is virtually unheard of but Houdini is a nice tool learn for dynamics...there are a lot more places online you'll pick up as you learn and research more. You may also want to investigate something like Pixel Corps for a slightly more directed online experience.

Most school programs only deliver a smattering of of VFX, like generally one maybe two classes if you're lucky. All that being said in NYC the main school that comes to mind is SVA. Parsons may be an option, but you really have to look at their programs probably with an eye towards shoe-horning general art skills into CG applicable ones yourself. (texturing would be the most straight forward one for traditional art to CG texturing, but you'll want to get very acquainted with UV mapping early on for that)

Thearetical
02-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I will definitely look to the self-taught option first, I just didn't know if there might be a school in NY that would offer the perfect solution while I look for work. I knew about Gnomon, but hadn't heard of these other resources, so they're next on my list!

PhilipeaNguyen
02-10-2011, 05:46 AM
The one I forgot and just remembered is Pratt that's in Brooklyn.

dhath45
02-10-2011, 05:59 AM
You might also want to check out NYU:
http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/mcghee/degree-programs/bachelor-of-science-degrees/digital-comm-and-media.html

Also

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/design-programs/professional-certificates/animation.html

Thearetical
02-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Those NYU courses look really cool, thank you for that!

gawl126
02-10-2011, 07:12 AM
If you have any kind of programming background or even if you don't, you should sit in on Ken Perlin's classes at NYU. If you don't know already, he's the guy who came up with noise. :bowdown:

taxguy
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't know what is going on with NYU's CADA program, but they stopped taking applicants for 2011 pending "changes." This seems very, very odd. I know of no school that shuts down applications for any period of time except for emergencies such as Katrina. They also changed their director of the program too. Although I too thought that the NYU program looked good, you should do a much more intensive investigation of the program.

By the way, they used to offer as a graduate program an MS in Digital Imaging and Design, in the School of Continuing Studies. I don't even see it being offered now.

beverins
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
SVA might have what you are looking for, especially in their BFA Computer Art program.

PhilipeaNguyen
02-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Um...I can shed a little light on the NYU: CADA situation being that I know someone that's alumni of the program. With the CG industry pretty much collapsing in the US it's no shock to me that the department decided to stop admitting students essentially for one class term (two years) that's the only reason why I didn't recommend that program to you first. They are redesigning the program pretty drastically probably to focus more on discipline specific tracks in 3D, and they are probably trying to re-develop the programs with more entrepreneurial focus in general. I don't have a problem with what they're doing but when I found out I was mad at myself for not trying to get in earlier. Also, Patricia Heard-Green (the new director) seems pretty cool. (I met her briefly once)

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2011, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.