PDA

View Full Version : How can I connect a laptop to PC to render faster?

AVGHH
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi guys;

I want to connect my laptop (64bit) to my PC (32bit) for rendering faster in 3ds Max 2011 and 9. How can I do that?

Laptop: Sony VPCF11 (Core i7 Q820 - 8M cache / 4 GB Ram) - Win 7 64bit
PC: (P4 2.4 GH - 1.7 GB Ram) - Win XP 32 bit

I appreciate your helps.

olson
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
That depends on the renderer. For example mental ray can use "satellites" to help render a single frame. Though you won't get that much performance out of it. If you have two computers of X performance it might be one and a half times X performance combined, but not two times X. Bottom line is if you need to render single frames faster then you need a faster computer. Satellites and other remote rendering acceleration for a single frame should only be considered if you have the fastest computer around and it still isn't fast enough for a single frame.

AVGHH
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Most of the times I use mr and rarely Vray.
I saw in most of the rendering tutorials that they check "Distributed render" for rendering in mr. What configurations and settings have they done before checking that item?
Is networking two computers by a cross cable enough?

olson
02-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I saw in most of the rendering tutorials that they check "Distributed render" for rendering in mr. What configurations and settings have they done before checking that item?

Your'e wasting your time. The performance improvement isn't worth the trouble. :shrug:

See the documents that came with Maya for how to setup the mental ray satellite. They are horrible by the way. Not sure if V-Ray can do it or not? You'd have to ask them or see their documents. Yes, a simple network cable from point A to point B will work assuming the static networking is setup properly on each machine and the cable is a crossover or the network cards are gigabit (which have auto crossover for uplink and point to point). There are a bunch of third party install guides for the mental ray satellite if you search for it (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mental+ray+satellite+install).

ThE_JacO
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
For MRay you just need to set a list of satellites (through a hosts file usually) so that when the process kicks off it knows it can defer part of the process to those.
A cross cable is plenty, only thing you might need to do is open some ports on the satellite's firewall to make sure the master can kick off what needs kicking off.

I'm not 100% sure if it will work fine when there's an architectural difference (32 and 64 bit) between the master and the slave. In theory it should work fine, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there was ao catch somewhere.

The difference in speed will, most of the time, be irrelevant though, and in some cases it can be counterproductive. It's only in some situations where the data is on the light end of the spectrum, so the network isn't a bottleneck, and most of the work can be parallelized efficiently that you will see any real benefits.

In general though you will still be better off configuring the other box to render frames or partials rather than splitting tiles through satellites.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.