PDA

View Full Version : Mouse recommendation for wrist pain??

hastyle
02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, I've been having some wrist pains lately, constantly have to take breaks and sometime wear an icepack around it. i think its time to change mouse. Right now i'm using the logitech Mx revolution, ive never had a problem with it before, after so many years now it must be catching up to me. I think i need something flatter, it feels like my wrist joint is bent up too much, as my the bottom of my palm is resting on the pad. Anyone else running into the same problems and any recommendations on mouse?

thanks.

olson
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
The mouse is probably not the issue, likely the desk and/or chair height are the issue by putting your hands below or above the mouse. If the height is proper (level forearms with the wrist slightly or not bent at all) then try a pad below your wrist. If all of the above has already been tried then take breaks more frequently and try using the computer less. We all have limits for this kind of repetitive motion. If you search around you'll probably find that most experts recommend seven hours per day or less on a computer to reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.

cgbeige
02-03-2011, 12:48 AM
I used to get wrist pain but it was from the keyboard, not the mouse. Get a split ergo keyboard and maybe try switching between a mouse and tablet pen frequently to prevent the same type of motion.

earwax69
02-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Get a wacom bamboo, its cheap and just fine for navigating. I use a Intuos 3 myself but I seldom need the pressure sensitivity. In mouse mode, its very intuitive.

Srek
02-03-2011, 07:38 AM
One of our developers had similar issues, he switched to a vertical mouse and has quite a lot less problems now
Cheers
Björn

mattmos
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I had to switch to a tablet (intuos) to get rid of the pain I was getting from using a mouse all day. Slowed me down a little at first but wouldn't go back now.

hastyle
02-03-2011, 08:54 AM
well its my mouse hand wrist, i find it comes when I'm modeling for a long time. Elevating the seat does help a little bit, my wrist is still bent no matter what because the bottom palm is always resting on the mouse pad. so i feel the only way to reduce the bend in my wrist is to get a flatter mouse.

i don't know how anyone can model with the tablet?

Nupsi
02-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Like Björn adviced, I would try a vertical mouse if you´re not very comfortable using a wacom pad as mouse replacment. Using a normal mouse forces the handwrist to a very unnatural 90°-rotation, which is mostly the reason for the pain. Also using a Gyrotwister (http://www.gyrotwister.com.au/) can help to reduce the pain over time by strengthen your lower arm muscles.

The best tip for sure ist to take enough brakes to relax and do enough sport to compensate the long pc-sessions. Oh...and please excuse my poor english ;-)

hastyle
02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
hm, ok will look into all my options. Thanks.

Like Björn adviced, I would try a vertical mouse if you´re not very comfortable using a wacom pad as mouse replacment. Using a normal mouse forces the handwrist to a very unnatural 90°-rotation, which is mostly the reason for the pain. Also using a Gyrotwister (http://www.gyrotwister.com.au/) can help to reduce the pain over time by strengthen your lower arm muscles.

The best tip for sure ist to take enough brakes to relax and do enough sport to compensate the long pc-sessions. Oh...and please excuse my poor english ;-)

evanfotis
02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
just to add to above suggestions, is trying out a trackball mouse.
No wrist movements required, just thumb and fingers.
Started using one some years ago basically due to restricted space, now can't do without.
Original Logitech Trackman Wheel (corded) and recent Wireless Trackball M570 are good choices.

imashination
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
The mx revolution is one of the worst mice ive tried as far as ergonomics go. Its a brilliant mouse except for the shape. The problem youre likely having is the pinching from side to side. The mx revolution has a very recessed area for your thumb which means you need to make quite a narrow shape with your hand to grip it.

Personally Ive settled on the contour perfit mouse. its angled to the side so you get much of the benefit of a vertical mouse but in a more familiar shape and format. 5 buttons and a wheel, plus all the buttons are real dedicated buttons, no having to wobbling around on the mouse wheel for a middle button. This completely solved all my problems within a few days, been using them for 5 years now for far too many hours a day.

arrangemonk
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
learn to use the mouse with the other hand, or use a trackball

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.