PDA

View Full Version : Digital Project IGS --> 3dsMax via Solidworks?

jobwallis
02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi
I have loaded around 30 IGS files from Gehry Technologies Digital Project into 3ds Max. They load in as Nurbs which i collapse to editable mesh.
But the two largest files approx 7 meg load but crash max when i collapse them to a mesh. They need to be a mesh to export out to another system eventually and i dont trust NURBS in max.
My question is I have a friend with a copy of Solid Works which im sure would read the IGS files but am wondering if this could export as a mesh via DXF or 3DS or another format? Is this the best workflow to get a mesh into my file?
thanks

KevBoy
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Solidworks doesn't really have any good mesh exports. However, if triangles don't bother you, you might get a result you'll like. When importing the IGES into Solidworks, be sure to set the image display settings in the Solidworks document properties options to a very fine setting, when exporting an .STL it will take those setting and essentially dumps out the display mesh to an .STL file which I believe Max can read.

jobwallis
02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Ended up importing with a copy of Rhino and exporting as STL format. Worked well.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.