PDA

View Full Version : nparticle water tearing effect

Yawzer
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi, i'm still learning nparticles so please bear with me,

I've done the nparticle tutorial for pouring water with nparticles and although it looks pretty good, i'm trying to improve the look and behaviour of the particles that break off from the main body of water.

I'm trying to get that tearing effect you see in water, as if you had a flat edge you had water running over. (not focused like you would have pouring out of a cup). Its kind of hard to explain but its as if there was a sheet of water flowing down and there were holes or tears in the sheet.

I've tried messing with the threshhold but it reduces the volume too much..and i'm reluctant to start reducing the size and increasing the number of particles because the mesh seems to generate reaally slowly as it is...

any thoughts?

i've tried a bit with realflow and it seems to get close to what i'm looking for without much tweaking

thanks!

edit (spelling)
edit - although i mentioned realflow, it isn't an option to use right now. So i was wondering if you can get similar results from maya. (forgot that bit..)

mandark1011
02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
try the surface tension in the liquid tab that helps to clump particles together when they leave the mass giving you your tearing look.

KidderD
02-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Clump is definitely the right word. Unfortunately, the surface tension doesn't use the velocity of the nParticles, and pretty well balls up your simulation. Surface tension has to be used subtly, until they fix it. I don't think the realistic tearing of fluid sheets in Maya is currently possible.

Aikiman
02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Surface Tension is the closest thing you will probably get but Mayas liquid simulation is pretty crude and needs a lot of dev love. Depending on your needs Id roll with Realflow for production.

HowardM
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
You can try using Force Field - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6870808#post6870808

but I think a wall of fluid may require too many particles using this method... or it would take days to sim ;) worth a try!

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.