PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Error/Problem

cg_master
10-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Hi, I just got Photoshop 6.0 and installed it. Everything worked fine. When I started it for the first time, something came up that said something like photoshop scratch and windows paging files in same folder or drive. Then it said I should put one of them in another drive or something like that. I don't know exactly what it said because it never came up again. Also, everytime I create a new file the default mode is greyscale but I want it to be RGB Color or bitmap. How do I do that? Also, which is better quality, RGB Color or Bitmap? Thank you for any help you can give me. :)

BiTMAP
10-17-2003, 10:56 PM
these are not errors nor problems, these sound simply like prefrence issues. I don't remeber how to access that stuff through 6 though.

theGuest
10-18-2003, 01:24 AM
A "Scratch Disk" is a "swap File". They serve the same purpose.
Photoshop uses one just in case it needs it when you use up all your avaliable/assigned hard ram. Windows does the same thing.

A swap file, or scratch disk is simply a small chunk of your hard drive space that's been converted to serve as a memory pool for an application. Not all applications need/use these. But PS is one that does.

All Photoshop was saying is that for best performance, you should have a second drive or partition that PS can use for its swap file. Using the same drive/partition as Windows does for its swap file can cause memory/performance issues.

The setting for this is under the EDIT menu/Preferences.

Unless you work mainly in print, your default document settings should be this:
---------------------------------------
NAME: Untitled-1
WIDTH: will be set to the last document you opened.
HEIGHT: will be set to the last document you opened.
RESOLUTION: 72
MODE: RGB (will always reset itself to last document opened!)

CONTENTS: White
----------------------------------------

If you ever find your new docs do not have these settings. it's because you've opened an image that was different -- like a Bitmap or a Greyscale image.

In that case, you need to create a new Document and reset these settings.

cg_master
10-18-2003, 03:25 AM
Thank you for clearing that up. One more thing, how do you set a scratch disc in PS? :)

theGuest
10-18-2003, 08:44 AM
The setting for this is under the EDIT/Preferences/"Plugins & Scratch Disks" menu. :thumbsup:

:wavey:

Self-Designer
10-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by cg_master
Thank you for clearing that up. One more thing, how do you set a scratch disc in PS? :)

ctrl+k for getting the preferences
ctrl+7 for Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks
Then u have 4 scratch disks u can define

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.