PDA

View Full Version : Looking good so far......

forelle
02-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi

These are all looking great so far. A quick word of advice is to export your textures often so if something goes wrong you can always reimport them and carry on.

Please feel free to ask questions or give feedback about Mari in this thread, me and the other Foundry guys will check in and try to help.

Jack

leigh
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I agree with Jack - it's great to see these entries so far.

I'm making this thread sticky so it doesn't get lost.

JHarford
02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Jack,

Couple of things so far -

Can't get tablet pressure working under Ubuntu 10.10, even though it works in all other applications. So I'm using the windows version, which is notably slower. I hear Fedora 14 the pressure works. Is there a confirmed 'supported' , or 'Recommended' Linux distro?

It's my understand I can't make a selection and then apply a fliter to it. How would I go about adjusting Hue for a selection on a patch. ?

Mari seems a great program so far, I'll be sure to leave plenty of feedback as I get more into it.

Rossoo
02-04-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm really excited to try Mari but I have a real bottleneck.... here's the problems;

Could you explain why the Mari application doesn't full support all wacom mapping feature? I have 2 wacom product on my desktop, my intuos2 is setup in mouse mode and I can't paint on asset because it draw a long stroke a each pressure tip and, for finish, with the cintiq, it have a strange half inch offset at the tip of the pen ? The only way I can work is with my intuos in pen mode but after many year of habit in mouse mode it's a bit frustrating to revert...

Thanks for your advice and support, and sorry for my low level English.

nsb
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Spent my afternoon/evening going through tutorials and watching the into video etc. I've been going through the blacksmith files to see if I can work out how its put together.. Is there an easy way to import all the textures/shader network?

Atm I have loaded in all the obj and when I made the new project it scanned the blacksmith dir and detected all of the channels but didnt add the texture files.To attach the textures I have to manually right click a channel-import and then select the patch set for each one and then I guess I have to remake the shader network?

I'm liking the software so far and its amazing that I have 100+ 4k textures in my viewport. I hope future versions bring a simpler PS style layer system tho :)

cheers

forelle
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not got round to answering these yet, I'm just about to get a flight back to the uk and typing on my phone isn't the easiest thing. I'll certainly answer these questions first thing Monday. Ahhh the joys of being on the road.

Jack

fx81
02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
hey Jack, is there a way to have a channel as a multiply layer ?
for example, i have this AO bake tga file and i import it into a channel and create a separate channel for painting the texture. is there a way to show the AO channel over the other paint channel at all times like a multiply layer ?
the shader AO generated by Mari is very low quality which is why i want to import a baked AO map.

*EDIT* nvm, i figured it out :)

OK, i am trying to paint in 3d mode like Mudbox but so far all the videos i see is projection type painting. i was really excited until now. is there no way to paint in 3d without 2d projection ?

molman
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
"Can't get tablet pressure working under Ubuntu 10.10, even though it works in all other applications. So I'm using the windows version, which is notably slower. I hear Fedora 14 the pressure works. Is there a confirmed 'supported' , or 'Recommended' Linux distro? "

Red Hat 5.4 and Fedora 12 are known to work

"It's my understand I can't make a selection and then apply a fliter to it. How would I go about adjusting Hue for a selection on a patch. ?"

There is currently no way to apply a filter to just a face selection (you can apply a single filter to a specific selected patch), but what you could do is make a copy of that channel, delete the other bits of painting and then attach that as a seperate diffuse channel.

nsb
02-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Anyone know the spec shader "module" that lets you apply the mask and also has spec/rough etc settings. I can only find the 3 that work with the "lighting" module and lets you mask the spec but not adjust the strength. Need to be able to apply multi spec and adjust the strength independently.

Driving me crazy looking through the docs for this stuff, I've seen it in the mari videos on your tube.

laurahohman
02-11-2011, 02:14 AM
I remember earlier on in this competition, someone was talking about allowing a trial of Mari extension for those competing. Do you know who I would contact to extend my trial until the end date?

Thanks!

mzan
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Anyone know the spec shader "module" that lets you apply the mask and also has spec/rough etc settings. I can only find the 3 that work with the "lighting" module and lets you mask the spec but not adjust the strength. Need to be able to apply multi spec and adjust the strength independently.

Driving me crazy looking through the docs for this stuff, I've seen it in the mari videos on your tube.

Hi,

This shader module was split apart into three separate modules for Spec Gain, Spec Roughness and Spec Color (you can find these in the Add New Shader Module dialog box at the bottom) the combi-module no longer exists.

Mike

mzan
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
OK, i am trying to paint in 3d mode like Mudbox but so far all the videos i see is projection type painting. i was really excited until now. is there no way to paint in 3d without 2d projection ?

I'm afraid not, Mari uses a projection paint system and you can't paint direct-to-surface. The advantage of this is that it allows for much higher resolution texture painting than could be achieved otherwise.

forelle
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
We've just put up an introduction video for Python and Mari.

Thanks to Chris for the great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsf3cKioCz0

noritominaga
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
(I posted this question in my progress thread too)

Just a question about workflow

When a texture map is painted I like to work WITH the displacement map there so I know where all the nooks and crannies are. So therefore, painting textures in zbrush is really handy.

However, I can't work out how I can easily do this in Mari. I understand that I can overlay a layer or plug in a displacement map, but it's far easier to do it in a package that already has the geometry there.

Is this Mari's function in the first place?

forelle
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
(I posted this question in my progress thread too)

Just a question about workflow

When a texture map is painted I like to work WITH the displacement map there so I know where all the nooks and crannies are. So therefore, painting textures in zbrush is really handy.

However, I can't work out how I can easily do this in Mari. I understand that I can overlay a layer or plug in a displacement map, but it's far easier to do it in a package that already has the geometry there.

Is this Mari's function in the first place?

Hi,

At the moment Mari 1.2 doesn't support displacement preview other than as bump or overlay. For fine detail this should work ok.

If you need more detail in the mesh, you can pre-subdivide and apply the displacement in an external package and bring in the displaced version. I know this isn't ideal but we are working on this at the moment.

Mari 1.3 should have some very interesting news regarding this.

J

earlyworm
02-25-2011, 02:50 PM
It's my understand I can't make a selection and then apply a fliter to it. How would I go about adjusting Hue for a selection on a patch. ?

Try this workaround and see if it works for you. Make your face selection, set the projection mode to Selection Only and switch to the clone brush tool and set it to registration mode (CTRL + Windows/Meta key + LMB) - using the the clone brush like this allows you to "pull" paint from the object back up into the paint buffer so you can edit it. Once the paint is back up in the paint buffer open up the filter (Hue) and set the operation to Current Painting. Once you've applied your filter, bake it back down onto the object.

The registration mode on the clone brush is really handy, but it can be tricky to know what your pulling up into the paint buffer - I set the paint mode to 'color burn' when painting and switch it back to normal once I'm done pulling the texture off the model.

earlyworm
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I hope future versions bring a simpler PS style layer system tho :)

Mari already has a PS style layer system via shaders, although it requires some manual labour (add module, set channel) in order to put them together.

The Diffuse-Blend module acts the same as a regular photoshop layer - doing an 'over' operation (by default) and allowing your to change the operation (multiple, add, screen, burn, etc) accordingly. The Masked-Diffuse-Blend module acts like a photoshop layer with a mask attached. With these two modules you can replicate PS layers easily.

You can also reuse channels for different layer effects - rather than having to duplicate a layer in order to use it somewhere else in the PSD. Use a mask channel to multiple against a painted channel and use the same mask channel to burn another channel.

With the shader system you don't have to lump all your different layer effects into one shader - one asset I painted recently had a shader which showed me what the diffuse + dirt looked like, another which showed me what the spec + bump looked like and another which showed me what the whole thing (diffuse + dirt + spec + bump) looked like. With Mari I tend to use a few shaders, each doing a different effect that I can bake out without having to turn layers on and off all the time.

Or to think of it another way, imagine being able to reference PS layers within the same or different PSD files. You'd paint on one layer and have it update in all the PSD files where that layer is referenced.

Pixoloid
03-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi Jack,
My Mari License has expired.Can you direct me to extend it for a week so that I can submit my polished work.

Thanks in advance
Manoj Somanadhan

noritominaga
03-11-2011, 04:59 AM
on the website it says you email

mari-challenge@thefoundry.co.uk :thumbsup:

sumedhpatil
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
wheree to downlode mari chalenge model pls reply fast

mzan
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2011/02/17/220/texturing-contest-win-an-nvidia-quadro-fermi-5000/

leigh
03-17-2011, 07:14 PM
wheree to downlode mari chalenge model pls reply fast

Dude, the challenge is over now.

Pixoloid
03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi,

where can I upload Mari archive.I am waiting for the ftp link.In India midnight is over.
My Mari archive is 2.85 gb.

Thanks
Manoj

forelle
03-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi,

where can I upload Mari archive.I am waiting for the ftp link.In India midnight is over.
My Mari archive is 2.85 gb.

Thanks
Manoj

Hi,

Please post your final images in the submissions thread and I'll check up on the FTP.

Jack

Williamwinkler
06-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Is there going to be another challenge soon?

Pixoloid
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I didn't get Mari License yet.

thanks
manoj99

forelle
08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Can you email support@thefoundry.co.uk

Thank you.

J

Hi,

I didn't get Mari License yet.

thanks
manoj99

Buscat
10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi - we're just about to start Justin Holt's new CGWorkshop "Creature Texture Painting in Mari" this coming Monday. I'm going to link this thread in the workshop general discussion - there's some useful info in here :)
Kirsty

prokopy
10-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Gud day to all!
I have a few question regarding mari. by the way im a noob using it.

how can i export may final image into Photoshop? is it ok if im using nvidia gtx 460 756mb? or do i need to upgrade my video card. Can i import mari files in 3ds maxs file, so that i can set up the light? thanks a lot.

Stevovo
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi guys

Am a new Mari user and i have a little question.
How do i reset Mari entirely to its Default settings? Like the way you do for Maya by deleting the Prefs folder.

Because i was busy messing around with it only to realize later that it actually remembers all your previous settings prior to closing the software..so if you change important Default settings u end up in shit.. :p

Anyways, i'll appreciate your response
kind regards