PDA

View Full Version : Split different particles at different positions

Holzi
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi there,

I have a little issue here. We want to simulate the way people come into the building and use the 4 different 'towers' to spread across the floors. So my idea was to use Particle flow and let that move some cylinders into the building, up the towers and then to be distributed rather evenly on the floors.

Right now, the particles follow the path (more or less) and go up. for one of the 4 events i also added a deflector (being one of the floors) that then triggers a speed by surface.
However, if i had to do that for every event, and every floor (7 are displayed, 13 are there in total) i'd rather add some overlay in post than use particles.

Now is there a way to create this without having to add >30 deflectors?
And how do i distribute the particles rather evenly on the floor?
is there a way to have one birth ditributing particles over every floor (after they went through one)?
Or would i also have to create > 30 births?
And are the particles being so ridicoulusly slow and fast at the beginning? (I tried with different birth seeds - still that weird behaviour)

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtynabZj13s
basic max scene is added as well

JohnnyRandom
02-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Your test scene is exploded, particle view is missing a bunch of operators ect.

The initial speed thing looks like you are using Find Target speed by time, it will force particles to make it to their destination be the specified length of time. Using by speed + limits will give you more consistent results.

As for all the splitting by levels maybe just a single large deflector for every floor? Hmmm off the bat I would say that is the easiest approach (using collision detection). Maybe also in combination with Split Amount tests for each floor?

Of course unless you wanted to built up some crazy logic operator, and give the particles some brains :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2011, 12:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.