PDA

View Full Version : Baking Specularity into Textures

oneczech
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi,

is there any way to bake specularity into textures (same as light and color, AO etc) ..

couldn't find a way, neither any help online

the scene must work without lights and in real time 3D .. like a game but no engine to handle lights. Just models and textures ... no sophisticated shaders.

one way is to hand paint it, but that is a pain ...

thank you

mister3d
01-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,

is there any way to bake specularity into textures (same as light and color, AO etc) ..

couldn't find a way, neither any help online

the scene must work without lights and in real time 3D .. like a game but no engine to handle lights. Just models and textures ... no sophisticated shaders.

one way is to hand paint it, but that is a pain ...

thank you

Both Mental ray and Vray can do it. You simply render completemap (maybe other passes will work too). Of course it will be view-independent when baked, but works for some stuff.

Kev3D
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Specularity, like reflection, is view dependant, that's why your having trouble baking it. If you can only do models and textures, you might have to do without specularity.

oneczech
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
thank you for the tips ..

this project could do without specularity ... i was thinking that having hot spots, no matter that they are locked to one position, would suggest metal objects more then not having them ..

however, im having a completly different issue ... it is a new concept, baking, to me so i have been experimenting with it .. . on balls and cubes some tests, light and color .. that worked fine. But once i started working with a more complex character, well .. the shadowing turned out always pretty bad .. i would increase texture size, samples, shadow quality, i would smooth the model thinking that may increase the quality of the texture .. but no, still pretty junky result ..

any tips?

currently i have been baking Final Gather and raytraced shadows ..

the settings are pretty simple to understand, the workflow seems pretty straight forward .. time sucks to wait, but .. why is the result so bad? .. something wrong with the model??

Kev3D
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
It could be a UV issue, are they all properly laid out, with nothing overlapping?

oneczech
01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
well, the problem looks so bad all over the place, that it does occur even where the map is pretty clean .. please, have a look

oneczech
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
eh, here it is

oneczech
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
i have used a script to create a duplicate, but it has no history or anything copied from the original .. so pretty new object. Check this out ... different result .. same settings

interesting :))

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.