PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity Scene and Feature request

Chewey
10-17-2003, 08:49 PM
It would be helpful if pmG could post a shot showing a successfully rendered messiah scene where radiosity was used. Plus post the scene file so users could examine the settings used to achieve the results. I've spent hours trying a variety of settings only to end up with less than satisfactory results. i.e. excessive graininess, green tinted renders.

As a feature request I'd like to see some form of settings/patch saving for render settings.

gsuttor
10-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Try playing with this scene file....

http://members.optushome.com.au/gefbec/sponza.mpj

Geoff.

lmilton
10-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
It would be helpful if pmG could post a shot showing a successfully rendered messiah scene where radiosity was used. Plus post the scene file so users could examine the settings used to achieve the results. I've spent hours trying a variety of settings only to end up with less than satisfactory results. i.e. excessive graininess, green tinted renders.

As a feature request I'd like to see some form of settings/patch saving for render settings.

With our insanely small team, it's tough to make time to work on polished scenes. We really do *want* to, but it's impossible with all of the coding, documentation, & support work that we must do. Often, when people take the whole of what we've accomplished and look at the makeup of our team, then compare that to other companies, they come to the conclusion that it's impossible for us to have accomplished all this. Yeah, it's a mountain of work, and if we had to throw content development in the mix... shear madness.

Fortunately, we have some of the most generous members in the 3D community. People such as Geoff, Taron, Simeon, Thomas Helzle, Mark Wilson, Max Glick, and many, many others (I know who you are;) ) are providing a great service to the messiah community. That support helps us do our jobs more effectively which again benefits the community. This isn't to say that the users should shoulder *all* of the burden, but this would all be impossible without user support.

For my part, I try to give as much in-depth info as I can. And if you post a scene with problems, I will look at it if no one beats me to it (admittedly, I always pray that someone will... just so I can stay focused on the next patch).

If at least *some* things go according to plan (the Universe hasn't smiled on us much in the past), we'll be able to provide a greater degree of content in the near future. This is important because messiah is every bit as powerful (and in most cases, much more powerful) than the core of all other software. The key to messiah's widespread success is in providing enough content that demonstrates this power. Of course, we need materials from the users to accomplish this. It's a chicken/egg thing.

We'll get there, though. If you continue to post scenes & images, this will go a long way towards that goal. And I'll still be here to help stear things in the right direction.

-lyle

ps: render settings is on the List.
pps: thanx for posting that sponza scene, Geoff! It's proving to be *very* helpful:)

Chewey
10-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm completely sympathetic to your situation so please understand that my request while somewhat curt wasn't meant to put anyone on the defensive.

I'm currently putting Geoff's handy scene through some radiosity tests. Pretty nice to get this type of support from fellow believers/cultists. (jk)

Thanks Geoff!

lmilton
10-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
I'm completely sympathetic to your situation so please understand that my request while somewhat curt wasn't meant to put anyone on the defensive.

I'm currently putting Geoff's handy scene through some radiosity tests. Pretty nice to get this type of support from fellow believers/cultists. (jk)

Thanks Geoff!

My apologies if that sounded defensive. My intent was to provide info. Not just to you, but to everyone reading this thread.

Everything's cool;)

-lyle

gsuttor
10-19-2003, 01:11 AM
If you want the 'original' is here.

http://www.rna.hr/sponza/default.htm

Just wanted to make sure ppl didnt think this was MY scene.
I just coverted it from there for a test.

Geoff

gsuttor
10-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok, I've done a few render tests of the sponza scene during the day and put them up for you all to have a look at.

http://members.optushome.com.au/rsuttor/

Just read along side them to see what I have done.

Cheers,
Geoff.

lmilton
10-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by gsuttor
Ok, I've done a few render tests of the sponza scene during the day and put them up for you all to have a look at.

http://members.optushome.com.au/rsuttor/

Just read along side them to see what I have done.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Well done, Geoff:})

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/rsuttor/Sponza_09.jpg

Just thought I'd link directly to one of the renders. Noise problems asside, I think your renders have great "presence".

BTW, some of the problems you've encountered while putting this together have been solved in the patch. Others will have to be addressed after the new patch. I'll post more info on yahoo when I get a free minute.

Nice job:thumbsup:

-lyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.