PDA

View Full Version : facial expressions and face geometry

Dreamwave
10-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Can someone explain me when we find a face smart looking or dumb? Atm I'm modeling some sort of troll (inspired on the one from Harry Potter and the Philisophers Stone) but for some reason he looks way too intelligent...

Does anyone how to fix it? What makes a face look dumber?

Laa-Yosh
10-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Couple of ideas:
- Small cranium
- Small forehead
- Small eyes
- Eyes placed very close to each other, and deep under eyebrows
- Large jaws

But these are just ideas, and sometimes the opposite will work (like large, bulging eyes, placed pretty far from each other). Try sketching on paper to find a good solution.

Dreamwave
10-17-2003, 08:43 PM
ok, I'm going to try it, you're probably right about the eyes, the ARE very big indeed

zzacmann
10-18-2003, 08:00 AM
I dont really think the size of the eyes matters all that much.

The best thing to do is to recognize the traditional strong/wise facial features and just do the opposite

Smart= Strong, sharp profile, pronounced chin and large, chisled nose. Heavy brow line and jaw line. Brows turn down. Mouth shut.

Dopey= Droopy eyes (in the outer corners), up-turned pug nose, weak chin/heavy overbite, ears that turn out at top, sloped forehead. Brows turn up. Mouth frequently hanging open. (Sorry if I just discribed anyone here.)

setmenu
10-18-2003, 01:10 PM
A good way to play with expressions is to use your own.
Go and find a mirror, and then make faces until one strikes
you as dumb!
In my case that appears to be reposed...:p

Setmenu

Aken009
10-19-2003, 08:42 AM
well preston blair goes thru the differnt character attributes

check it out Preston blair online... (http://www.freetoon.com/prestonblair/01-characterdev/01-frame-fr.html)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.