PDA

View Full Version : 3Delight 3.0 is out with Free Dual-Core version

SLiTHER
01-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey guys

guess 3delight just released version 3 for Softimage, grab the free version, seems 10 times faster than version 2. this should be a nice treat until Arnold comes out some time this life time :)

Cheers

adrencg
01-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Anyone able to get it to work? It doesn't really work with 2011 sp1.

bblevins
01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Anyone able to get it to work? It doesn't really work with 2011 sp1.

I got it working with a weird workaround.

I have to:
- start SI
- let it crash (looks like a problem reading/writing 3Delight prefs)
- restart SI
- recover crashed scene.

FWIW: I'm running 2011 SAP 64 bit on Win7

Hirazi
01-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Well, it works here (on the Softimage 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack), but I installed the "Hotfix 1" beforehand, figuring that while it was "advertised" primarily for Arnold, from reading the readme, it actually seems to fix some problems with 3rd party rendering in general.
The only thing to note seems to be, that Softimage takes significantly longer at startup, but that's probably due to 3Delight's own license manager).
Haven't tested it much so far, though, I must admit. Looks interesting, however: toon shaded renders on the 2 core limited 3Delight are much faster than on a 4 core Mental Ray. :applause:
(edit: to clarify, the speed increase is most noticable when using the "toon ink lens" shader)

MCook
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
What are the biggest pro's using 3Delight? Is it generally faster than MR? What about FG/ HDRI? Is it faster and does it also have less or no flickering going on?

SLiTHER
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
well generally, 3delight is a renderman renderer, that being said, RayTracing is not it's cup of tea. The advantages that you get though are the following

- Infinite NURBs and SubD resolution, they will look crisp and clear without any increase or hit on rendertime.
- Displacement mapping, use displacement any time and anywhere, no hit on rendertime, and it's true displacement. something MR always had a problem with
- Photorealistic and blazingly fast MotionBlur (unless your using RayTrace Routines)
- Depth of Field out of the box, and extremely fast as well (unless RayTrace of course)
- Deep Shadows that actually works
- Shadow map techniques you can't find except in Renderman
- Per Object AntiAliasing and optimization (extremely handy, especially for LOD)
- Point Based Occlusion and Bleeding methods, very smooth and very nice.
- Memory management that puts MR to shame, having a scene that is crashing on you at render time, try Renderman, neeeds tweaking for sure, but this is one tough cookie :)

These are the more general and obvious advantages. But like i said before, RayTracing is MR territory, it's way optimized and fast. FG and GI are faster there, that doesn't mean the FG in 3delight is slow though. the best thing you can do it to try out for your self, there is a free version, try with small scenes to get a hang of it and see the difference, that is the best thing, you might like it or hate it, but you'll know for sure :)

Cheers

TheRazorsEdge
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Quick question for those already using the free version of 3Delight:
Does this free download work out-of-the box right after the install or do you have to request a license via some utility or something like that?

Cheers!

Hirazi
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Out of the box... ;)

TheRazorsEdge
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Aha!
Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers

zuke
02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info
gonna give it a try

Cronos
02-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I was sceptical at first but 3Delight really works out of the box. Drop the file onto the Softimage application and that's it. You can immediately change the renderer to 3Delight and start using it. And it does its job amazingly well. Where Mental Ray kept crashing forever because of some displacement maps, 3Delight didn't have a problem whatsoever and outputted an even more detailed model than MR (it even used less memory).

Although 3Delight might not have all possibilities in terms of raytracing (didn't check it out yet) I am really glad to now have a much needed alternative to Mental Ray.

toonafish
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I tried installing in the userdir and workgroup ,but the only shader I can use is the Phong. All others give me an "3Delight: S2050: cannot find shader..." error.

anyone else experiencing the same ?

3Delight 3.0.2 | SI 2011.5 SAP

Thanks

Hirazi
02-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Windows or Linux?

toonafish
02-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Windows or Linux?

sorry, Win 7 64bit

Hirazi
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Is this a problem you already experienced with version 3.01?
(If 3.02 is the first one you downloaded, the old one is still on their server: here (http://www.3delight.com/downloads/free/3DelightForSoftimage2011-3.0.1-free.xsiaddon.zip))

BTW: you know of the 3Delight for Softimage Forum (http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunBB/viewforum.php?id=10)?

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.