PDA

View Full Version : Sea shore animation?

MCook
01-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey there

Anyone know of an easy way/ steps to create sea shore water behavior/ animation?

NOW: I'm not looking to create water or realistic water surface. It will be a stylized sea and instead water it will be made of objects.

But I'm somehow looking to create the waves and interaction of motion at the sea and shore and the way it would move onto the beach/ shore and retract again.

The objects would be instances attached to those particles or ICE particles.

I assume ICE would be the best way to do this? Or can you think of any other solution?

I have no idea how to set it up with ICE so in this case i'm a complete dummy :cry:

Help greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!

TheRazorsEdge
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Wasnt there a plug-in called aaOcean or something like that?! Maybe that would help.
Other than that you could just animate displacement on a plane, deform the geometry with Syflex or via ICE particles with a noise fractal and make that a collider for your other geometry. If you have the SAP, Lagoa will give you more options.

Cheers!

Ohmanoggin
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
If you just want a simple wave effect, you can use "Primitive / Control Objects / Wave" on a grid.

There is a prebuilt ocean in the Samples Project folder under Rendering.

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin

MCook
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks but my issue isn't really to create waves or ocean geometry/ base itself. As stated i'm not interested to create realistic waves or water.

What i'm curious about is how can i attach instances/ object to those waves?

What's the best approach, should i emit ICE particles from the waves and then make those particles stick to the wave geometry while those particles are replaced by instances/ geometry?

How can i make the ICE particles points stick to the points of the wave geometry? Right now when i emit ICE particles from the animated waves geometry the particles don't follow the waves at all.

Thanks

Augrymal
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Sounds like ICE is definitely the way to go.

I'd use two ICE trees, one for emitting object instance particles from the wave surface and controlling their motion (there are ICE nodes for surface interaction, I'd check that out)
The other ICE tree I'd use to actually animate the wave surface itself. There are deformation nodes which can accomplish this.

So from what you've said so far, looks to me like you just need a surface interaction node which produces a "glued" effect. I'd check "Slide on Surface" node with surface friction set so high it basically prevents sliding. I've never used it on a a deform-animated object, but documentation says it can be done.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.