PDA

View Full Version : HALO PC demo now available

bentllama
10-17-2003, 05:38 PM
HALO PC demo now available

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/halo/

kwshipman
10-17-2003, 06:04 PM
WOOHOO. Good news for us cheep people. this is definitely going om my X-Mas list.

[EDIT] Fileplanet also has this available with two dedicated servers for the Halo demo, nice and fast downloads.

Renzsu
10-17-2003, 06:11 PM
without doubt one of the most disappointing releases in last few years... the game looks pretty bad compared to other new games out there today (the excuse that it's an xbox game isn't worth anything to me, they've had YEARS to improve things), oh and you need one hell of a pc to run it fluiently. Nah, it's just another crappy conversion like Splinter Cell. I'd much rather spend my money on Max Payne 2, Call of Duty or a couple of nice dvd's..

Seriously, don't consider playing this game if you have anything less than a 2 GHz cpu and a beefy graphics card. It's insane...

bentllama
10-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Renzsu
without doubt one of the most disappointing releases in last few years... the game looks pretty bad compared to other new games out there today (the excuse that it's an xbox game isn't worth anything to me, they've had YEARS to improve things), oh and you need one hell of a pc to run it fluiently. Nah, it's just another crappy conversion like Splinter Cell. I'd much rather spend my money on Max Payne 2, Call of Duty or a couple of nice dvd's..

Seriously, don't consider playing this game if you have anything less than a 2 GHz cpu and a beefy graphics card. It's insane...

To each his own.

Renzsu
10-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
To each his own.

true.. I take it you liked the demo then? ;)

gruvsyco
10-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Cool. I'm not much of a gamer so, it will be nice to finally see what everyone is so crazy about.

Tex3D
10-17-2003, 11:41 PM
true.. I take it you liked the demo then? ;)

*psssst*

He MADE the demo...:hmm:

-Dave

Agent D
10-17-2003, 11:45 PM
He did? I thought he was doing animation for Halo 2, not the original...

Tex3D
10-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I was under the impression that he DID work on the original.

Bent??

-Dave

Goon
10-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Halo PC is some hefty stuff. It does not run well on my comp, which while not the greatest gamer, is more than sufficient for everything else.
This makes me scared that I might not be able to play HL2

granito
10-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Here I was thinking I could run the demo, and not to mention that my pc was top notch, kept telling me otherwise. Ill just stick with halo on x-box, I dont think I need an upgrade there.
dont consider the game unless you have the latest of the latest 2ghz cpu, 512+ ram and one hell of a graphics card.:thumbsdow

Hookflash
10-18-2003, 08:30 AM
My computer ran the demo just fine (Athlon XP 2700, 1 gig ram, All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro). I liked it overall, but the vehicle control seems awkward with a mouse. I'll probably end up purchasing this one, though.

Agent D
10-18-2003, 08:36 AM
The vehicle control isn't too bad once you get used to it, but I would have preferred basic keyboard controls. A lot of the time you can get stuck because the vehicle has decided to turn the wrong way in order to back up, etc. Not fun when you're holding the enemy flag and trying to get your damn ghost to back out of the enemy base. :p

Renzsu
10-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tex3D
*psssst*

He MADE the demo...:hmm:

-Dave

D'oh.. does this ALWAYS happen to me?? Oh well, hope you didn't take it personal, i'm kinda fussy when it comes to my games.

Tex3D
10-18-2003, 04:18 PM
D'oh.. does this ALWAYS happen to me?? Oh well, hope you didn't take it personal, i'm kinda fussy when it comes to my games.

Do you mean me?? Take it personal?? :shrug:

Oh heck no!! Not at all bud. I doubt that Bent takes it personal either. We all have our opinion about games that we like and don't like.

:wavey:

-Dave

Call of Duty :drool:

Renzsu
10-18-2003, 06:39 PM
yeah I meant Bent ;)
Oh, I have a question, how come it took that long to do the conversion? Was it microsoft who wanted to keep it an xbox exclusive for that time? Because I remember you guys had the game more or less running (early version of course) before MS wanted it to be converted for xbox exclusively? Oh, and will it be the same for Halo2 or will that be released more or less like most cross platform games currently released?

StevenR
10-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Played the demo...loved it. The multiplayer level included isn't very exciting, but oh well.
The mouse control for vehicles didn't give me any trouble either. It just takes a little practice. (Perhaps never playing the XBOX version meant I didn't have to shake the old control habits)

Originally posted by thefugitive
Here I was thinking I could run the demo, and not to mention that my pc was top notch, kept telling me otherwise. Ill just stick with halo on x-box, I dont think I need an upgrade there.
dont consider the game unless you have the latest of the latest 2ghz cpu, 512+ ram and one hell of a graphics card.:thumbsdow 2ghz machines are dirt-cheap these days. I got one from Dell last November for ~700$. By now you could get one for that with a monitor, better video card and twice as much RAM (came with 256. I later upgraded to 768). 'Latest of the latest' would be a 3.2ghz processor, a gig of ram and a GeForce FX. I'm using a cheap little GeForce 4 MX420, and the game ran fine at 1024x768 with all the detail settings maxed (of course, shadows are disabled in the demo, for some reason...)
By the way, the game also runs fine on my second machine, a 600mhz P3 (below the minimum specs) with a GeForce 2 MX400 and 192mb of RAM. The in-game sound doesn't work, which is annoying, but the framerate is smooth and we've been having a blast playing across the LAN. :)

Overall, quite a good game, judging by the demo. The warthog tends to pick up an odd vibration on certain underground ramps, but I had so much fun trying to get it all the way to the bottom of the Silent Cartographer that it didn't bother me (for the record, I took it most of the way down before deciding there was no way to get it back up. You might think those doorways are too tight for a warthog (and indeed, they are), but why use one when you can use two?)

Very cool. Might snag the game one of these days (not until the price drops, though...$50 for a game released two years ago? I understand that a lot of work went into porting it, but still...ouch. ;)) :thumbsup:

Day-Dreamer
10-18-2003, 07:52 PM
downloaded yesterday and love it:wip:
fun playing but at some place ,kinda slow .anyway good game after AA .:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AJ
10-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Well - it runs like a turd here...

2.6ghz P4
1 gig of RAM
256mb Quadro FX 500

It's genuinely unplayable :( - bugger.

Keiyentai
10-18-2003, 11:31 PM
It's probaly your vid AJ_23 most Workstation based cards like the Quatros arent gamer friendly. Personaly I'm not all that excited about Halo for PC. I have heard to many complaints and having it for Xbox and after beating it on every setting I returned it. There's not much more too the PC version either. Yay you can use the Plasma cannon I wana fork out $50 for that! Whohoo!. Um...No. Multiplayer would be fun too but I have one MAJOR disadvantage well 2. 1 I'm on a crappy 56k line with a messed up phone line in the biulding and dont wana pay $12-$90 an hour for the phone company to fix it....2 I am on a Celeron based comp with SDR Ram....I know I need to upgrade that. Personaly I am waiting for DOOM III. Half-Life II looked fun but...it's been delayed until April of 2004 due to a hacker stealing the source code. Owell :shrug:

stephen2002
10-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Downloaded, fiddled around with it. I have a QuadroFX1000 and it is basically unplayable with anistropic filtering enabled. I turned that off and it was playable...sorta. I don't like the vehicle controls; I would much prefer using the strafe keys to turn while leaving the mouse so I can look around.

It is sad that the framerates are so low yet all of the textures are pretty low-res.

bentllama
10-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Tex3D
I was under the impression that he DID work on the original.

Bent??

-Dave

Never worked on the original. Brought on to kick your asses with Halo 2 yummies.

bentllama
10-19-2003, 02:09 AM

I never take it personally when it is a contructive opinion. I enjoy debate and hearing about what I [or we] can do better.

:beer:

bentllama
10-19-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by AJ_23
Well - it runs like a turd here...

2.6ghz P4
1 gig of RAM
256mb Quadro FX 500

It's genuinely unplayable :( - bugger.

run OK on my quadro...though I do notice it not liking a workstation card...I run a dual 2.4, 2GB DDR, 128 Quadro 750 XGL

what helps me play it at home are using the variable to bring it down to 1.4 shaders... add -use14 at the end of your shortcut

for more tech info go here:
http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/hpcperformancefaq.html

Neil
10-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Well this is frustrating news to hear it runs shitty on the "normal" PC. I'll say normal b/c the majority of the world is NOT using 2.0+ ghz, 256 mb video cards.

But why is this such an ongoing problem with porting games over. GTA was crap too. Splinter Cell was also bad. Either the game is too consol specific to begin with, or companies aren't taking their time.

Oh, I have a question, how come it took that long to do the conversion?

I can't speak for Microsoft/Bungie, but games are on contract for distribution and exclusivity. That's why when you wonder why it took so long for GTA to get over to Xbox, there's your answer.

Steve Green
10-19-2003, 08:41 AM
We've tried it on 2 machines, a 1.6 Gig Athlon with a GF FX 5200 and a 2.4 Gig Athlon with an ATI Radeon 9100, it ran like a dog on both of these machines.

I can't believe they would even consider releasing a game that ran like this on reasonably well-specced PC's.

- Steve

Northchild
10-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Runs great on mine - no slow down at all. I have a good gaming/student 3D art stuff system, (3.0ghz, fx 256 mb, 2GB RAM), though I'm gonna have to make a ton more money than I do now to get into the dual 64 bit stuff like some here :)

Steve Green
10-19-2003, 08:53 AM
It doesn't even look that good, I'd love to know what is eating up all that processing power...

- Steve

Northchild
10-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Must be the AI or somethin'. I played for a bit, but got my rear-end handed to me... proving once again that I should stick to turn-based RPG and adventure games! :lightbulb

cosmonaut
10-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Runs great on my 2 GHz P4, 1.25 GIG RAM, Geforce 3. Frame rate is steady and looks reasonably good. And the AI is pretty dang tight. The demo is a blast. I'll be getting this one eventually. Too bad I just wasted a bunch of money on jedi academy, which turned out to be exactly like jedi knight II.

kwshipman
10-19-2003, 04:12 PM
it ran okay on my 2000 athlon , 512MB ram, GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Slowed down pretty bad only when several baddies were nearby, so its probably AI causing it. If more games do this to my machine, maybe I can convince my wife to let me upgrade, he he he. Is there a way to display the framerate? The easy setting is too easy, only died once, because I tried to run from the big yellow guy while trying to make it to the surface instead of just killing him.:shrug:

Freebooter
10-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Runs fine here,

Athlon 1800XP,
1024 DDR RAM,
GeForce3 Ti200 128Mb.

I'm delighted, 'cos I thought I'd need to upgrade something to play this and HL2.

Lovely demo, lovely game. Must get the full version.

Back to Halo.

Steve Green
10-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Hmm, maybe somethings interfering with it on my machine...

- Steve

ACFred
10-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Bought Halo PC a couple of weeks ago. Took me a week or so of time after work to finish it. Very nice story, satisfying albeit repetitive action, satisfying ending and overall spiffy game.
The cinematics did well to move the game along.

Nice job GearBox & Bungie!

Alec

bentllama
10-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Is there a way to display the framerate?

for framerate hit ctrl + F12 in game or use the console variable "rasterizer_fps 1"

Hmm, maybe somethings interfering with it on my machine...

- Steve

for more tech tips check the link below...

Halo PC Technical and Performance FAQ
(http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/hpcperformancefaq.html)

ambient-whisper
10-20-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Keiyentai
It's probaly your vid AJ_23 most Workstation based cards like the Quatros arent gamer friendly.

very common misconception

quadros are gaming cards with a few extras attached. they usually will perform as good if not better in games due to things like faster clock rates and ram.

however, workstation cards like the ones from 3dlabs are another thing all together.

Xaint
10-20-2003, 05:19 AM
I haven't played the Xbox one, so I can't make comparsions, but I have great time with the pc-Halo. It doesn't disturbs me that it's not up to date, because it *has* mood & atmosphere. This is what matters, not the fancy technical stuff. Do you guys play Quake 3 (or even Q1) nowdays? It's still fun!

Keiyentai
10-20-2003, 05:28 AM
huh dident know that. Hmm. THough I do know that the 3Dlabs ones are NOT for gaming....There new FireCat (I think thats the name) T4's and stuff support DX7and lower ......:surprised

Neil
10-20-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Xaint
This is what matters, not the fancy technical stuff. Do you guys play Quake 3 (or even Q1) nowdays? It's still fun!

I dont think that's really the issue. Halo is a blast, for sure. What is concerning everyone is the inability to even play the game, rendering it no possibility of even being fun.
Quake is really fun and ran on nearly every machine. Leading to a larger community.

JA-forreal
10-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Whoa nice ai! But I noticed that the game performed better on my old dual PIII 1 gig with a Geforce2 than a new system with a Geforce4 . Although the Geforce4 system looked better. ?

StevenR
10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by JA-forreal
Whoa nice ai! But I noticed that the game performed better on my old dual PIII 1 gig with a Geforce2 than a new system with a Geforce4 . Although the Geforce4 system looked better. ? You probably had the detail settings set higher on the newer machine. ;)

I tend to try things out at 1600x1200 on the first run, just to get a feel for how my card handles it. And then, the GF4 MX being a cheapy card, I usually turn it down to 1024x768 / 800x600. :p

JA-forreal
10-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by StevenR
You probably had the detail settings set higher on the newer machine. ;)

I tend to try things out at 1600x1200 on the first run, just to get a feel for how my card handles it. And then, the GF4 MX being a cheapy card, I usually turn it down to 1024x768 / 800x600. :p

I turned it down. Ok the real difference is apparent in the outside environment speeds. The Geforce4 tweakage util. apps are needed forreal. This game is addictive!

Morganism
10-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Any chance there will ever be a way to play Halo multiplayer with an XBox vs a PC on the same network?

Agent D
10-21-2003, 10:30 PM
No, I don't think so. Aside from the netcode being different, the XBox users would be horribly slaughtered with auto aim turned off.

Morganism
10-22-2003, 12:04 AM
lol
I know. I would finally be able to beat my housemates, I'm sure of it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.