PDA

View Full Version : Indian woman (First Digital Painting)

onetwo27
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
This is my very first reference digital painting. The first image is the original photo. The following is my work.

ORIGINAL PICTURE
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs896.ash1/180412_1411780833717_1808426736_798220_3542788_n.jpg

Now through this work i learnt lighting, color and how to create depth's in a painting :)

MY WORK
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs885.ash1/179312_1411780473708_1808426736_798219_302936_n.jpg

This work was a bit tough cause i was doing this using a mouse :(
Waiting to get an wacom :)

Pls do leave in ur critics,to help me improve.

Thanks in advance. :)

RicoD
01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Hmm, painted with a mouse, must´ve taken forever! I´m surprised you´re not looking like this right now: :bounce:

Firstly, it looks traced and colour picked. If you did, you're not going to learn anything from it. Basically you're just copying then and machines are a lot better and faster at it. You're not going to beat them. Now, you can pick colours to look at and see what colours you're looking at exeactly, but if you really want to learn to paint portraits you're going to have to learn to estimate shape, value and colour.

If you didn't: nice going! There's no need for you to ask for critiques since you can basically get shape and colour down. Next step: life painting or making an image from imagination using photos only as reference!

Some areas are a bit off though. Like the highlights under the eye. You painted the crevice shadows in the face a bit too light. The wrinkles in the neck are too dark. The shape of the form shadow of the cheek is different and darker. The form shadow of the jawline is different and lighter and the castshadow of the neck below it is darker. The shapes in the background are different too, but I wouldn't worry about those too much. You got the valuerange and overal shape right and those are the most important parts.

onetwo27
01-29-2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks bro. Yup this was my very first work. So back at institute my tutor was like, u try to bring the exact replica of the original image so that u could learn the fundamentals of lighting mainly from this pic.

This really did help me out. So my next task is to do a digital painting as of with out reference.

Really thanks for ur valuable critic.. the shape of the face did go off :) .. i was about to scrap the entire work.. but then my tutor told me continue painting since i could learn about how colors do mix. So that kept me goin ..

Will surely post an video of how i did it soon. :)

RicoD
01-29-2011, 03:33 AM
You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing other works. Weird thing, but is the one in your portfolio the same image as this one? This one looks redder somehow. I'm wondering since I sometimes see different colours between posted work here and the same image seen on another site, like Photobucket.

onetwo27
01-29-2011, 03:36 AM
You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing other works. Weird thing, but is the one in your portfolio the same image as this one? This one looks redder somehow. I'm wondering since I sometimes see different colours between posted work here and the same image seen on another site, like Photobucket.

Yup its the same. Ya the color is different and i added a few filters in the gallery image to giv a canvas effect. Apart from that the rest is all the same :)

onetwo27
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Here it is. Please do leave in your suggestions :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfC-s04wqQw&feature=player_embedded

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.