PDA

View Full Version : Vray for C4D

jameshcoppens
01-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey Everyone,
I hope this question hasn't been asked previously but I do my digital sculpting in Zbrush and then transfer the low res meshes with displacment, UV, and Normal Maps and textures over to Cinema4D via GoZ. My question is, has anyone ever used Vray for C4D? In particular I'm looking to get the same great renders that you see out of 3DSMax or Maya with Vray. If anybody has any knowledge about this or a similar workflow for character design, please respond to this thread.

Feel free to visit my personal site also at www.jimmycoppens.com to take a look at my production blog on this subject. Thanks

Jorge Arango
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/

jameshcoppens
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
That doesn't really answer my question? I'm looking for information not weblinks. I mean have you used that version of Vray? How much did it cost? Don't just post something without giving me information.

Thanks

Jorge Arango
01-28-2011, 07:53 PM
That doesn't really answer my question? I'm looking for information not weblinks. I mean have you used that version of Vray? How much did it cost? Don't just post something without giving me information.

Thanks

I'm not your servant. I'm just trying to help you. Your question is more likely to be answered in that forum.

Per-Anders
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
All of that information is on their website, you can look at the gallery, see the price.

VRay is VRay, the GUI is different between platforms, but it's the same render engine. It's just another render engine with slightly different features. It's an excellent engine, but it doesn't add magic pixie dust.

The engine itself wont make your renders awesome unless you know how to model, texture and light an awesome scene in the first place, i.e. a default sphere rendered in VRay is really no different than one rendered in AR, PRMan, Mental Ray, Final Render or any number of other render engines.

Render engines aren't cheap, so before you dive in to buying another render engine first you need to know if it has the features that you need (and are lacking in your current options), e.g. you may need good SSS in which case most render engines offer far superior options to those SSS options found in AR, however if you don't then that's not a factor, maybe you need good raytraced DOF, in which case perhaps a REYES engine is more what you're after such as 3Delight (which is free for 2 cores personal use, and you can use with the AR renderman bridge), or PRMan.

Do your own research first. Know what features you need. Shop around. If you want others to help you then you have to ask specific questions (and not ones that are obviously answered on the website for the product) explaining your situation and requirements, don't expect them to do your work for you, they have lives too, and no-one is going to know your specific situation apart from you.

umblefugly
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks

All your questions will most likely be answered at the link Jorge gave you. Helps not to be rude aswell.

jameshcoppens
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't have specific questions about Vray because I have never used it....why would I go research something that I have no experience about, and waste weeks when I could talk to a subject expert here and get their perspective?

I am looking for INTELLIGENT perspectives on using vray, similar to the response Per-Anders (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=12603) made. Do me a favor, if you are going to point me to another forum or complain please don't post.

If you have modeled a human face in Zbrush and transferred to C4D for render with a Vray Rendered than please tell me about your experience. How did it perform based on your computer architecture, what was your render time, did you use any type of back lighting so you can see translucent properties of skin?

If you have done these type of things please tell me about it, otherwise shut up.

ThePriest
01-28-2011, 11:48 PM
You're not making a very good first impression Mr Coppens. Do try harder.

Rendertimes for translucency in VRay range from almost as fast as a diffuse material (FastSSS) to as slow as physically accurate calculations of translucent surfaces through a refraction channel. It has multiple ways of calculating SSS.

The skin examples I've seen look very good and if you're willing to be less stubborn, you'll find a very long thread on the VRay forum full of people's skin shader efforts.

Good day.

Srek
01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
James: Insulting the people that pointed you to the best ressource for answers on the questions you didn't realy articulate is probably not the best way to get quality feedback.

malax
01-30-2011, 09:45 PM
As someone who uses Zbrush+GoZ with Vray for character work...i can highly recommend Vray.
Realistic skin can be achieved with SSS2 and it renders fast on my Macpro3.2...displacement is also fast and (after a while of learning) detailed...the only little trouble i have sometimes is getting the displace amount correct...something that GoZ sets up for you when using AR

On GoZ i have very briefly looked at adjusting the script so it would create and apply Vray Mats instead of standard C4D mats...but as yet i'm too busy with work and don't really have much knowledge of scripting..hopefully soon i'll get some free time to give it a go.

There appear to be a few differences in the way the interface for SSS2 is set up in VrayforC4d compared to the Max version,but from what i understand the 2 versions have exactly the same core render engine.

As for other forum/web info on character work using Vray i recommend CGFeedback (http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/index.php)
and ZbrushCentral in particular this post The Portrait (http://pixologic02.com/showthread.php?t=87012&page=1&pp=15)

HTH
mala

joshfilms
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say thus far it seems Hair and Vray don't play along to well at least for animation. I did some test with a grassy hill and my animation results were horrible in Vray ton's of flicker on the hair but it renders quite well in with C4D's native render. Also, I'm still trying to figure out the best method to render Zbrush's displacment maps in Vray.

Other than that Vray is a dream. As mala said the fast sss is awesome!

Josh

jameshcoppens
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you everyone, you've given me some great starting points to jump off of on my latest project. I'm trying to make a realistic model of Blake Griffin combining some "Sketch and toon" renders as well as using Vray. My production blog for this project is at my personal website and thus far I've just come up with the general bust for further subdivision. Within a week I should be doing some test renders and I'm sure I'll need some guidance.

www.jimmycoppens.com then click on blog

lllab
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
as side info:
in our forum you see some great hair animations of grass, also with vray fur an excellent one, no flicker in it.

regarding displacement i helped several users in setting in up, also all in forum and/or per email support in case.

malax: in the vrayforc4d brdf you have more specular layers than in the max version and the SSS2 is optionally also incorporated into the main material which lets you have some more possibilities and combinations than in max version. we also use the c4d native shaders, in max are the native max shaders.

cheers
Stefan

joshfilms
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you Stefan for that info. I will search the forums for some hair animations and maybe emailing you soon about displacement.

Cheers,
Josh

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.