PDA

View Full Version : proxy objects

malbas111
01-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi all.
I've been having some serious problems with trying to get a scene togethor in 3d max

I did the initial modelling in rhino. and have dealt with the issue of bringing it over into 3d max.

My issue arising in the fact that I want to compile a scene of 5 different buildings which are in separte files. each approximately 20mb.

Here are several things I've tryed which haven't worked so far:

-merging the files with the scene, but this simply doesn't work, as the computer spends hours working away with no result.

-Xrefing objects. again doesn't work

-Xrefing them as various scenes, tryed this before with the larger files, but have since made the files smaller, so may be worth another try

I would like to do something like use a proxy for the building, which results in a low quality version being displayed and the high quality version being rendered.

Something like this really, but it doesn't work because thats for an older version: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=5582452&linkID=9241177

Also the computer i'm using is pretty new, its at uni. a intel core i5 with 8gb of ram

Thank you kindly for any help. as i've spend two day with this, with no result

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2011, 07:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.