PDA

View Full Version : hiding mirrored half ?

sebek27
10-17-2003, 01:47 PM
when you mirror one half of you model, is there anyway to hide it on/off when modeling the other half with symmetry on ?

sebek27
10-17-2003, 02:08 PM
also when I mirror i get a seam, my model is exactly where it should be right on the line, all the points are in a line also...

carnera
10-17-2003, 02:30 PM
hi ...

why do you like to hide one half of the model? makes no sense to me.... :shrug:
but you can give the right half of the object a separate partname and select the partname (and its polygons) and hide the selection with "hide selected/unselected"

yes, sometimes "merge" doesnt work. i know it may sound stupid but check if you have a endomorph already setup. kill the endomorph and mirror the object again (check the "merge" button). if its still doesnt merge the points, select the points on x=0 and weld them manually.

-mindcache-
10-17-2003, 04:12 PM
There are a lot of modelers out there who like to hide half the model like he mentions for a flat/clean profile view a lot of people have a tendancy to neglect how important the general profile is to the model and how it effects the rest of the flow look and style.

It can be done just as well without hiding half of the model *shrug* some do better without having to view through the rest of the mesh. To each their own.

carbon8
10-17-2003, 05:37 PM
The line comes from not having the edge of the part to be mirrored on the axis. Before mirroring use center 1 direction to get it on the x axis, or select all the points of the edge and ctrl v will get all the points on the axis, then do your mirror.
To hide half, select those polys and hit your minus key to hide them (-) then backslash (\) to unhide them.

sebek27
10-17-2003, 06:15 PM
thanks ! by the way, i did control - v and all the points are on one axis.. i'll try some things thanks

carbon8
10-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Then try running a bandsaw just to the right and left of the x axis. It kinda looks like the points are our further than the rest of the model. Then inset those points a little to get rid of the seam.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.