PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Dezkin - tylerART

tylerart
01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
A texturing contest; what a great excuse to learn Mari. I'm new to the contests side of CGTalk, so if I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know. Without further adieu, and with the chance of everyone copying my awesome color scheme, here's my initial mock-up.

http://tylerart.squarespace.com/storage/post-images/color_mockup_1.jpg

I'm also posting / journaling the experience on my site. http://tylerart.net/sketchbook

So far, just a bit of modeling in Maya on the planks and a paint over in Photoshop.

Thanks!

rhinton
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice job.
After looking at your work I believe you're going to come up with something pretty fancy.

Makes me want to try out this software.

tylerart
01-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks rhinton! I've been pretty excited about Mari. I think it's going to be as vital to texture artists as Photoshop and ZBrush. I've been playing around with it (or at least trying, had to buy a new graphics card just to get it to work) and I really like how it works and the power behind it.

Joviex
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Good job so far.

Also noticed you are at DD now - congrats.

tylerart
01-31-2011, 03:04 AM
Here's a WIP of the head texture. After painting, I'm going to darken up the textures to match my initial painting.

http://tylerart.squarespace.com/storage/post-images/WIP%20-%20Head%2001.jpg

Mari is such a resource HOG! I turned down the buffer to 8 bit and baking can take up to 30 seconds before responding. Guess Mari wasn't intended to run on a laptop. I've noticed that sometimes I can paint a simple stroke and it takes forever to bake, then sometimes I can paint a large complex area and it bakes in a second or two. Anyone else notice that?

tylerART

myketindle
01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Nice work tyler loving the skin texture . Yeah i reackon the baking seems to have a mind of its own i find the first bake takes a while .

tylerart
02-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Here's a new WIP update. Looks like slight changes, but there has been a lot of work done since yesterdays post. Still have a few more layers, er, excuse me, channels to add. So far, I'm really liking the shader system. I love that I can paint specific channels in real time and see what happens to the surface. I know ZBrush does a similar thing, but I feel this is better implemented.

http://tylerart.squarespace.com/storage/post-images/WIP%20-%20Head%2002.jpg

http://tylerart.squarespace.com/storage/post-images/WIP%20-%20Head%2002%20back.jpg

Enjoy!

Tombery
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Very nice work Tyler, hope you can finish! :thumbsup:

RZC
02-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Great work so far Tyler, keep going! ;)

leigh
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm liking the direction you're taking this in, Brent! I find it funny the way the fact that he has a few facial tentacles appears to have inspired some people to go for an octopus kinda look for the skin, but since sea creatures have really fantastic skin markings, it's a concept that I personally really like. I don't really want to make any suggestions at this point because I'm not sure what your plans are for the next stage, so I'll just wait for your next update.

tylerart
02-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Sadly, once I added 4 to 5 channels, Mari comes to a stop and ends up completely freezing my computer. I've tried and tried, but can't get Mari to run with more layers. I was really enjoying this challenge, but without the proper machine setup, I have to withdraw from the contest. Sorry all! Wish I had a few grand to throw down on a new machine. Good luck to everyone else!

tylerART

JHarford
02-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Oh no, that's such a shame you have to pull out. What system spec are you on ? I must say Mari is crawling on my pc with 4-5 channels too. What I did do was completely free up a hard drive for mari to use as cache disk. Ran a little faster, but still not fluid.

lightrig
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
well you could export each asset individual and texture it and then later join up in 3d package that's what i am doing to to make Mari run fluently or just hide the other assets other then that disable v sink in Nvida preferences that should help and the preferences in Mari u have to switch defered mode off try this thing s

C0rpus
02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Breaking down the asset into smaller mari projects is the way to go. It's interesting that everyone says to turn deferred shading off, because when I turn it off - mari starts to seriously lag. When I have it turned on It is blazing fast.

forelle
02-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Breaking down the asset into smaller mari projects is the way to go. It's interesting that everyone says to turn deferred shading off, because when I turn it off - mari starts to seriously lag. When I have it turned on It is blazing fast.

Hi,

Turning off deferred shading can help if you don't have much RAM on your GPU. With a modern GPU (apart from the 460 which has a driver bug) deferred shading is your best option.

Tylerart, you can collapsed a stack of channels down into a single one with the Bake Shader option (right click in the channel name and Bake) this means you can collapsed what you've currently done and then start adding more layer, Bake down, etc. This may help. Your skin texture is looking great.

lightrig
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
i am running on nvidia 460 so in this case would a driver update help and will i be able to use the differed shading mode

tylerart
02-09-2011, 02:12 AM
I'm actually running Mari on my laptop. It's a quad core i7, 8gb ram, and is running a geforce 435m, 1gb memory. I hadn't thought of doing separate projects per object, that may just work. Other than that, it's not just lag I'm running into, it's actual crashing. I don't think my laptop was designed with Mari in mind. My desktop is 4 years old, and while it was once a powerhouse of graphics awesomeness, the motherboard doesn't like the newer fermi cards, and I'm not willing to put down the dough to upgrade. I may try doing 1 object at a time and see if that helps. I'll keep you all updated!

tylerART

molman
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm actually running Mari on my laptop. It's a quad core i7, 8gb ram, and is running a geforce 435m, 1gb memory. I hadn't thought of doing separate projects per object, that may just work. Other than that, it's not just lag I'm running into, it's actual crashing. I don't think my laptop was designed with Mari in mind. My desktop is 4 years old, and while it was once a powerhouse of graphics awesomeness, the motherboard doesn't like the newer fermi cards, and I'm not willing to put down the dough to upgrade. I may try doing 1 object at a time and see if that helps. I'll keep you all updated!

tylerART

Try getting a GTX 480. Its on the recommended list, and works well on Mari. Plus its like 1/4 price of quadros. Check its specs before you buy it though to see its up2 what u wanna do

lightrig
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
the crash maybe be because of the defered shading mode its know to crash windows i had same problem and i swtiched it off and then it was fineand the latest drivers might help

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.