PDA

View Full Version : Render Passes

shockwave82
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I have tried to set up render passes in maya 2011 and when i checked my specular and reflection passes they come out completely black, my AO pass came out completely white. I have attached a screen shot of my render passes in case that this might help

http://www.jose-f.com/images/renderpasses.png

used2bgordy
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I am not familiar with the latest build of Maya, but to me, it looks more like render elements than passes. Render element tend to behave this way regardless of software it seems.

kanooshka
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
If you're going to be doing your passes this way you need to assign a contribution map to a render pass.

1. Select which objects you want in a pass.
2. Go back into the render settings and create a contribution map, which is the next box under associated passes.
3. Finally, assign the render passes to the contribution map(s).

shockwave82
02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Kanooshka,

"If you're going to be doing your passes this way you need to assign a contribution map to a render pass. "

When you say "this way" do you mean that there is an alternative method? I came from maya 2009 and there has been a big chance in the UI and the way things behave now.

I added my contribution map and still having the same issues. Do you know what can be going wrong?

or perhaps what is the easiest way to set up and AO,Reflection, And Specular Pass?

mercuito
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Ok first off, you'd be better off posting this in the Maya section. But ignore that comment about "render elements" thats just vrays naming for render pass. And ignore the comment about contribution maps - you only need that if you only want a subset of objects to show up in a particular pass.

As for why its black, It could be the shaders you are using, could be the way you are viewing the passes, its hard to know. BTW for the ao pass, your need to turn on ambient occlusion in the render globals in the indirect lighting tab

shockwave82
02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
so i was able to get my AO pass to work, but im still trying to figure out what im not doing right in setting up my other passes. Any one know of any tuts that show a walk through of render passes/layers?

shockwave82
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Ok first off, you'd be better off posting this in the Maya section. But ignore that comment about "render elements" thats just vrays naming for render pass. And ignore the comment about contribution maps - you only need that if you only want a subset of objects to show up in a particular pass.

As for why its black, It could be the shaders you are using, could be the way you are viewing the passes, its hard to know. BTW for the ao pass, your need to turn on ambient occlusion in the render globals in the indirect lighting tab

all my materials are mia material x

zaskar
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
You maybe solved your issue, anyway. If you want to get passes like specular, reflection etc you need to convert your mia_material_x to mia_material_x_passes. There is a section in the mia_material_x attribute editor you can do this. The reason why the ambient occlusion is written correctly is because you turned it on in RenderGlobals so its calculated as a special shader and writes into frame buffers directly from ray state bypassing all material shaders.

shockwave82
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
You maybe solved your issue, anyway. If you want to get passes like specular, reflection etc you need to convert your mia_material_x to mia_material_x_passes. There is a section in the mia_material_x attribute editor you can do this. The reason why the ambient occlusion is written correctly is because you turned it on in RenderGlobals so its calculated as a special shader and writes into frame buffers directly from ray state bypassing all material shaders.

thanks zaskar!

that was exactly what i needed, got my passes working pretty well now =)

Jose

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.