PDA

View Full Version : "Look at" while simulataniously able to rotate around the axis pointed at the target

Darkflame
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Hope I can get accross what I want to do here.

I know how to use the basic look-at controller (Max2008), and wish to keep an object always looking at the camera - not a problem.
But I also want it to freely rotate about the axis that is pointed towards the camera.(say, Z).
The rotation can be random or constant rotation, doesn't mater too much, just anything.

The object will also be used in a Reactor simulation for its position but the rotation doesn't mater. (its just being simulated as a bounding sphere and thats fine).

Hope I made my request clear;
I need to keep, say, a plane facing the camera while letting it rotate around the axis facing the camera. So, a bit like having a classic "doom sprite" rotate.

I've tried using Rotation List, and various combinations but I cant work it out.

Thanks for any help! :)

blake_spector
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
what's wrong with a rotation list controller then? i've just tried it... target camera, a plane with a look-at constraint to that camera (in a rotation list), plus a euler xyz... in my setup, it follows the camera, but as long as the euler xyz is set as active in the rotation list i'm able to adjust/override the rotation - still the plane is following the look-at at the same time. :surprised

Darkflame
01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Not working here...
A few querys;

Is the Eular under the Look At or above it?
Is "pose to pose" ticked?
What weights do you have for them? 100/100?

Thanks,

blake_spector
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry, it's late here... too tired to type. Attached my scene file, i hope that's what you're looking for.

Darkflame
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks but it doesnt open...newer version of max?

I get "File Open error: Unknown stand-in:SuperID=0xB60,ClassID = (0x5BF94F11x068C22D6F)" error, followed by 3 missing dlls. Prosound.dlc x2 and StorageAndFilter.bms....and finally a generic file open failed, followed by the path.

Thanks for your help anyway, doesn't need to be sorted today.

blake_spector
01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
yeah, it's a 2011 file.

well, there's nothing special in there anyways. i created a camera and a plane, the plane has a look-at controller and a euler xyz in a rotation list (order doesn't really matter), pose to pose is not ticked, and weights are unchanged (100/100). OFC you have to set the euler xyz as the active controller, 'cause with the look-at ctrl active, you won't be able to rotate the plane around by hand.

i think i also set the camera as the upnode (instead of world) for the plane look-at ctrl, but i don't think thats even necessary...

Darkflame
01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your help, all I knew is the default settings didnt work.
I found my own solution in the end - using a dummy object and only linking some rotations.
It works, but I'll try your settings as well, as thats a neater solution.

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.