PDA

View Full Version : Mari Texturing Contest

CD4
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi! Everyone,
This is a quick previz of the Dezkin,which i'm currently working on.I've done a basic light-rig to startup the texturing as well as shading.The model is awesome.This is very exciting for me and i will try my best.Thanks CGtalk & The Foundry for the opportunity.Critics welcome.

Title: Detailing the Dezkin
Name: Koushik Routh
Softwares:
MARI (Texturing)
MAYA (Mentalray renderer)
Nuke (Comp)
Vue (Background)

:thumbsup:

HighRes:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_isItZcBdtm8/TUAqya3vP0I/AAAAAAAAAF0/huCsZfr7LnQ/s1600/Pass_v04.jpg

ArtisticGore
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Looking great! Interesting composition.

CD4
01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jesse :)

AndreHeiter
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
This challenge sounds quite interesting. But where can I download th Model? ;)

ok i figured it out^^ on the foundry's page ther is a link ;)

speismonqui
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
here you go:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2011/01/24/208/detailing-the-dezkin-win-an-nvidia-fermi-5000/

leigh
01-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Great to see a WIP thread. Just remember though that this is a texturing contest, so focus on the textures. If you want to light it and make it pretty at the end of the contest, then you're free to do that, but focus on the textures first and foremost. We are going to be judging your texture maps, not your shaders or rendering or compositing.

In a production environment, we do not look at textures all lit and put into backgrounds. Work in a constant shaded environment so you can see everything in your textures evenly.

I would recommend that you do some quick paint overs of the model to create some concept ideas for your textures. Conceptualising things beforehand will help you to focus when you start creating the actual texture maps.

CD4
01-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Great to see a WIP thread. Just remember though that this is a texturing contest, so focus on the textures. If you want to light it and make it pretty at the end of the contest, then you're free to do that, but focus on the textures first and foremost. We are going to be judging your texture maps, not your shaders or rendering or compositing.

In a production environment, we do not look at textures all lit and put into backgrounds. Work in a constant shaded environment so you can see everything in your textures evenly.

I would recommend that you do some quick paint overs of the model to create some concept ideas for your textures. Conceptualising things beforehand will help you to focus when you start creating the actual texture maps.

Thanks Leigh..Well,I totally agree with your point.That's an establishment shot i had in my mind when i first saw the character.Sure i will focus on texture details more with the neutral lightrig and constant shader.

Being a shader artist i always tend to test the shader with final textures in production lighting environment.So,once the texturing will be done,i would love to move this character on the floor.With that being said,i will start Conceptualising and hopefully send a WIP tonight.Thanks for your advise.
:beer:

Tombery
01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Good render looks how (daylight render).

I need a little bit texturing help, i cant in Mari Bake Shader ore Transfer maps
on the UVmap with the Demo. And afterwards Texture Painting Service is not available. :curious:
Must be provided bumpmap in mari?

CD4
01-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi! again,
I've done the concept work with two different color schemes.I did grab some reference from the 'net to identify most of the elements of the character for texturing and shading purpose. According to my knowledge this creature has a very well mixed sci-fi warrior look.
I've marked with numbering to identify respective placements.I'm not quite sure about the eyes color and shape..Soon i will start texturing i can figure it out more.Last but not the least i've huge fascination about the skin,so i'm also referring Octopus tentacles for this character.Thanks a lot.I will come up with more updates soon.

I'm running out of CGTalk file attachment quota, i'm sending my blog's link here.Please follow the link below.Thanks:

http://koushikrouth.wordpress.com/wip-works/

:wavey:

CD4
01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah Finally got the CGTalk membership :bounce:

Some WIP here:

CD4
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Good render looks how (daylight render).

I need a little bit texturing help, i cant in Mari Bake Shader ore Transfer maps
on the UVmap with the Demo. And afterwards Texture Painting Service is not available. :curious:
Must be provided bumpmap in mari?

Hollaa!! Sebastian, I can understand your question.I found a link for your brief answer,which might help you.BTW,the best way to learn any software is to "READ THE ' MANUAL"(RTFM).Cheers!!

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2011/01/18/review-the-foundrys-mari/

Tombery
01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks you Koushik, very Interesting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.