View Full Version : nCache can't be read
I've been having a problem lately with an nCache on instanced nParticles in Maya 2010. Immediately after caching and turning off the evaluation of nParticles and Nucleases, everything works fine (scrubbing). I then save the scene at the first frame where the particles are emitted. However, if I close maya and reopen the scene, the nParticles are not read by the cache and the particles just stay at the initial frame. If I open the scene in Maya 2009 I get the same results, but if I open the scene in Maya 2011 it works just fine. I cannot use Maya 2011 for these shots as I must render with RfM3.
Any information on how to solve this issue for Maya 2009 or Maya 2010 would be great.
Other notes: The names for the nParticle and the nucleus have not been changed.
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I know this might sound a bit like stupid ideas, but you could try the following:
1) Use RealFlow (if you have access to it, demo version should suit you well):
Export your nParticle Cache in Maya 2011 to RealFlow, and write it out as BIN cache that can beimported by Maya 2010.
2) In Maya 2011, have some standard particles emitted right at the same spot as your nParticles. Use exactly the same emission settings. Then, turn the nParticles into the other particle's goals. Now, there should be a standard particle attached to an nParticles. Cache the standard particles and use this cache in Maya 2010 for rendering.
I experienced the very same problem with nParticles in Maya Versions prior to 2011 and I never found a real cure, but not to use nParticles in those versions. Good Luck!
Thanks Phlok for your suggestion!
This is my workflow which seems to work fine:
- Since I have access to a Realflow4 license I was able to install the Realflow plugin for Maya 2010.
- I select my nParticles and use the Realflow BIN exporter from inside Maya
- Use the Realflow BIN importer from inside Maya, which creates a new emitter and regular particles
- Reconnect some custom PP attributes (rotation, index, etc.) to the new particle shape
- Create a PDC on the new particle shape to keep track of the new attributes
This is a much longer workflow but at least I have something stable that works.
01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.