PDA

View Full Version : importing models to vue

persius
01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Hello

I work with Maya and would like to create some models which I can import into vue (8 xstream). I would like to ask those who have done this the following questions.

-which format is best suited for models brought into vue.
-I would like to have my own textures on the models when imported. Is there anything in
particular I need to know for this to work properly?
-is there anything else that should be kept in mind to avoid problems?

Thanks

guardonduty
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I use to use .OBJ but for some reason they have a low subdivision. SO I started using .3ds and .dxf

RLM
01-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Although using the .obj format is more than suitable for importing most geometry. You will find that the .obj has limited support for materials and the Collada .DAE format is easily the best overall choice when textures are involved.

A few tips which may help when working with imported models in Vue:

1. Make sure your geometry is cleaned up before importing your models into Vue as this saves headaches later on. Although this really only applies to complicated geometry that includes textures. I think there are now a number of Vue Plug-ins that have been created especially for 'cleaning up/ decimating and optimising' imported meshes, but I prefer to do this manually myself before importing into Vue.

2. Make sure all your normals are facing in the same direction as this can quickly cause render errors and problems. I have seen many topics from new users of Vue wondering why their models don't render correctly once imported into Vue, and normals are usually the cause.

Hope that helps,

persius
01-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi fellas

Thanks for the tips. I'll go over them and give things a new try this time around. Based on what I now know and your tips, things should work out.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2011, 12:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.