PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking preferred angle?

megazor
01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi!

Some people have a resting position on there legs where the knee sort of shoot into the leg, and I'm wondering if there's a way to recreate that with IKs in Maya.

When you place out your joints for a leg, for example, you should make the knee point alittle in the direction of your character, thereby creating the preferred angle. But how do I do if I want the leg to rest turned backward?

I hope I'm making myself clear. :)
I might just be crazy, thinking some people can do this. I tried to google some reference images but I couldn't find any :)

/Martin

jdCharTD
01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Not totally sure what you're asking... you just want the knees to be bent backwards? If you build the joint chain that way, Maya will usually figure it out for you when you apply an ik handle.

But preferred angle is just an attribute of any joint. You can set it in three ways:

1) INTERFACE: rotate the joint in the direction you want to be the preferred angle, right click it and chose "Set Preferred Angle".

2) ATTRIBUTE EDITOR: Select the joint and go to the attribute editor and type it in manually.

3) MEL: type the following in the command line: $joint="my_joint_jnt"; setAttr ($joint+".preferredAngle") 0 45 0; //you can replace 0 45 0 with your own desired values

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.