PDA

View Full Version : CAT Muscle System in XSI?

TheRazorsEdge
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi all,

one thing I have always been wondering, is why the muscle system developed for CAT by Softimage or something similar never made it into XSI! Does anybody know?

Cheers!

Hirazi
01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
As far as I can recall, rumor had it, that Softimage wasn't interested in CAT as such,
but more in its main developer, Phil Taylor, who came to play an important role
in the original development of ICE.
From his linkedin (http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/philip-taylor/9/a17/828) page:
At Softimage, I took the leading role in developing the workflow, and user interaction on the ICE framework that was released in XSI 7.0, and I produced over 200 compounds that were released with the product.;)

luceric
01-24-2011, 09:32 PM
CAT and all its surrounding features are all written in Maxscript, there is nothing that can be ported into another application; it's like writing the feature from scratch.

MCook
01-25-2011, 01:40 AM
it's like writing the feature from scratch.

What's stopping you guys over at Montreal?

Stop playing Angry Birds and get back to work!

:cool:

TheRazorsEdge
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Hirazi: Aha! Thanks for the info. :)

luceric: Makes sense, but I'm wondering same thing as MCook does.

A full-featured muscle system in Softimage would be downright awesome and is one of the very few things I feel is missing in the package. I know I can build something akin to a muscle system from scratch using various methods but having direct access to something like Maya Muscle or CAT muscles out of the box would be a a great time-saver, to say the very least.

I am very aware of the ongoing discussion that PSD corrections or other deformers can just as well be used and that muscles systems can be unstable, laborious to set up and difficult to control, but in some situations I find such a system a lot more useful that ie PSD poses, which do take quite some time to set up as well, depending on the complexity of the required motions.

Anyways, I do feel a muscle system is currently sorely missing in Softimage.

Cheers!

Rez007
01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I agree that it is something missing indeed, actually a whole CAT setup seems to be missing as well. In the Softimage community there are a lot of people talking/inquiring about an ICE CAT setup system, which would seem logical given that ICE Kinematics is getting in place. I guess, only time will tell if it is implemented, but I hope it will be soon, especially since a lot of people say that Softimage's strong suit is its character animation...

luceric
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
What's stopping you guys over at Montreal?
Stop playing Angry Birds and get back to work!
:cool:
well someone's gotta take care of these damn pigs!

http://www.ihigames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/angrybird-285.jpg

PiotrekM
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
There was a muscle system developed by Helge Mathee, dunno what happend to the project.
AFAIR cat muscles were abit flaky

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.