PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on 'spherical scenes'

jhorsthuis
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi, I'm looking into doing an 'earth-zoom' the old all-known effect zooming from planet, through clouds and ending up in a city.
I was thinking that the spherical scene option from vue might give me a nice earth, with correct radius, and a nice procedural cloud layer that won't fall apart when we travel right through it.
Has anybody got any experience with this? Is it possible to map an earth map onto the 'infinate' terrain that is wrapped around?
Any help with this would be great, as I am not a very advanced user of vue, but feel like it's got lots to offer in a pipeline.

Thanks.

bruno021
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Check page 576 of your manual, the process is explained in a tutorial.

jhorsthuis
01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Even though on my version of Vue (8) it's actually on page 545, I'm very thankful for your tip. Looking into it now.
cheers

ChristianZ
01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
The workflow for these planets is not the most intuitive, but it is quite easy. You can set the camera at different heights and get nice series starting with infinite details and ending with the planet in space.

jhorsthuis
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
One more thing:

I got this working pretty good, with Xstream I've got the spherical atmosphere fitting perfectly around a max sphere, but I've got an issue with the mapping of the cloud layer.

In the tutorial they have a cloud map, but I've found some better, higher rez ones, and they should fit the globe like a normal spherical map. (like a map of the earth with stretched poles makes for a perfect earth globe) The mapping of the spherical cloud layer seems different though, and doesn't align well the way it should. I can't put my finger on what's wrong, but in the atmosphere editor I can't find any mapping options.

Any ideas about this? Would be very welcome :)

bruno021
02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Your cloud map must use the Mercator projection, or it won't work. The Mercator projection is the one with stretched poles.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.