PDA

View Full Version : PhysX setting: Switch to quad core CPU instead of GPU?

TsunamiZ
01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
For my NVIDIA driver, should I switch the PhysX setting to use my quad core CPU instead of the video card? I hear that if I have a quad/hexa core CPU, I should set PhysX to use my CPU to have less load on my video card. That way more of my video card processing power can go towards getting better frames per second in games. Is this true? What do you recommend?

I have...
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card [driver 266.58]
- AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU
- Windows 7 x64 with 4GB RAM

ivica
02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
For my NVIDIA driver, should I switch the PhysX setting to use my quad core CPU instead of the video card? I hear that if I have a quad/hexa core CPU, I should set PhysX to use my CPU to have less load on my video card. That way more of my video card processing power can go towards getting better frames per second in games. Is this true? What do you recommend?
I have...
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card [driver 266.58]
- AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU
- Windows 7 x64 with 4GB RAM
I'm not following; are you talking about content creation, or gaming?
If it is former, the usual route is dedicated Physx card, which do not have to be
high performer, nor the latest directX11 GPU: one slot like gf 9600GSO, GT 240, 8800GT, and later GT450. Look how Galaxy managed to build gt240 on pcb with GTX480 (http://www.techpowerup.com/123793/Galaxy_Designs_GeForce_GTX_480_with_Dedicated_PhysX_GPU.html), so it is a good guess that this GT240 is nice choice. Anyway, there are not that much games that utilise Physx heavily.
If it is a Production usage, use GPU CUDA/physx. No doubt about that.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.