PDA

View Full Version : Use Components option in Maya causing translate problem

squarefighter
01-23-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm trying to add influence to my facial rig using curves like they demonstrate in the Digital Tutors Curve-Based Facial Rigging tutorial. I've gone it a few times with a lot of a adjustments to the settings and objects, but I keep getting the same problem. I add the curve as an influence to my already bound skin and then I select "Use Components" so that I can use the control vertices as controls for my skin. That causes the curve and any points weighted to that curve to translate to some seemingly random position. I've tried with and without freezing transforms on the curve influence and the original object.

I've searched the forums here for a solution but couldn't seem to find anything. Anybody that could help me out?

Here's a video example of my problem:

http://www.vimeo.com/19063886

giordi
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
well first of all u want ur mesh to be perfectly clean before doing any kind of skinning so maybe that scale you did can give some kind of issue , did u try not to translate the curve from ur object?

squarefighter
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
I've tried freezing the transformations on the skinned object and the influence curve. Same problem. I've tried matching the pivot from the curve to the skinned object, doesn't help. I've deleted all the history before skinning, no change.

I'm really stuck, I can't figure out what else I could try to do :(

giordi
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
did u freez the geometry before skinnig? also try to reorder the inputs of the mesh before switch compponents on

squarefighter
01-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Hey, I was able to find a solution from the comments of a youtube video. Who'd have thought to look there for useful information? Guess the trolls were sleeping.

Anyway, my problem was using 'post' under the 'normalize weights' tab instead of 'interactive'.

Thanks for the advice giordi, I do need to be more careful about keeping my scene clean while I'm doing all this tricky rigging stuff. There's a lot that can go wrong!

That thing you said about reordering the inputs, how would one do that? Do you need to find the node in the hypergraph or something? I'm sure knowing that would be useful in the future.

giordi
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
well man it s really important that u knows how does it work the input of the mesh . basiccally means that you tell maya in which orders the inputs deform ur mesh as skincluster or blendshape. for example if u have corrective shapes on a shoulder you first need your skincluster and after your blendahpes . try it :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.