PDA

View Full Version : Video Card for 3d work and animation

JPPLAY
10-17-2003, 01:42 AM
I am wondering what cards you think are the best right know on the market right know for 3d models and animation? As I am in the process of picking up a new card and getting one gig of ram. Please back up your suggesting with reasons.

elvis
10-17-2003, 02:22 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69852

JPPLAY
10-17-2003, 03:30 AM
My system can take all the new cards to my knowledge so I was wondering about the new video cards. I don't have a problem with my hardware and I am just wondering about new video cards on the market and which one would be best for 3d modeling and animation.

WhiteRabbitObj
10-17-2003, 04:43 AM
QuadroFX 1000 without a doubt is what you want to be getting if you can afford it. If you want the current midgrade, I'd suggest the Quadro4 980XGL, I just got one during the past month and it's fantastic so far (of course, I can't compare to the FX to tell you whether the FX is that much better but I gather the FX is really, really, really cool and the other users can shed some light on that).

Definitely go with nVidia. Wildcat cards are super expensive and word on the street that I hear is that they don't perform anywhere near what they should for the price. And ATI, well, I don't like ATI and again, word is that ATI is not as good for 3D.

As always, get a workstation card. My new Quadro card has yet to have any errors that I can tell except in one scene where a certain angle causes the default light to wig out but I'm not sure that is a video card issue. My old GeForce3 had plenty of visual artifacts while in hardware (viewpane) mode. So go with workstation!

elvis
10-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by JPPLAY
My system can take all the new cards to my knowledge so I was wondering about the new video cards. I don't have a problem with my hardware and I am just wondering about new video cards on the market and which one would be best for 3d modeling and animation.

what i was referring to was what you're existing hardware setup is, what specific applications you plan to use, and how much money you've got to throw about.

i could name over two-dozen "modelling and animation" appications off the top of my head. i'm keen to know which of those you plan to use.

as a generic answer, i'd have to agree with whiterabbit: the quadroFX1000 seems to be a damn fine card to meet most people's needs. again, it depends on what other hardware you're running, and what your budget is.

JPPLAY
10-18-2003, 04:47 AM
I model in 3ds max and render in it too as I got nothing else in render in.

elvis
10-18-2003, 08:21 AM
well, in that case a quadroFX using nvidia's maxtreme drivers is your best bet.

the quadroFX comes in four flavours currently: the 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000. obviously the higher the number the better the performance, but the higher the pricetag.

for basic modelling any of them would suite. if you do very high-poly/lightcount modelling, then i'd suggest an FX1000 as minimum.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.