PDA

View Full Version : nCloth, UV maps and stretchyness

hellspawned
01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I've got two questions relating to the same object here, a banner (battle standard-type of thing, not a website banner).

First: I created the object, UV-mapped it, turned it into a nCloth object. This is where it goes to shit, as my UV-map gets completely jumbled. I googled for my answer at first, of course, but the only thing said that related to my problem was that i should project the uv map on the input mesh (which i thought i had done, as i UV-mapped the object before applying the nCloth modifier). The UV mapping is still there, if i open the UV editor, not the standard UV set but a custom one i made, but it doesnt appear in the UV linking editor.

How do i sort this mess out?

Secondly: When i test the animation, my banner bounces around and stretches a whole lot, no matter how high i set the stretch resistance. Because its supposed to look like its made out of a rather thick and non-stretchy (didnt wanna say rigid, as its supposed to blow in the wind, without stretching like worn-out spandex), i need to sort this bit out.

So, how do i make my banner non-stretchy?

hellspawned
01-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorted out the first problem by copying my UV mapping from my custom-made UV set to the default UV set, so that's sorted. Now remains the question of the stretchyness.

moreffect
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
hi hellspawned,

first problem shouldnt happen ,recheck ur scene.

second problem i think u should increase constraint strength to higher value ,it wont let your ncloth object stretch if u have one............
on other hand you also crank up the compression value lil higher ,you can use damp and deform resistance to avoid further stretching .

john_homer
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Secondly: When i test the animation, my banner bounces around and stretches a whole lot, no matter how high i set the stretch resistance. Because its supposed to look like its made out of a rather thick and non-stretchy (didnt wanna say rigid, as its supposed to blow in the wind, without stretching like worn-out spandex), i need to sort this bit out.

So, how do i make my banner non-stretchy?

increase the nucleus subSteps, the default is 4, which is useless in most cases. try 20 and go from there.
it will increase sim times proportionally

apply one of the cloth presets to you nCloth.

.j

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.