PDA

View Full Version : Selecting everything that's in the circles area.

mccollom73
01-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone,

Is the a way to select everything that's inside a circles area? For example, I put 4 objects inside the circle, run the script, and all the objects move with it. Then I can put other objects into it, run the script, and move the circle and all the objects move with it. Any suggestions would be amazing.

Josh

NaughtyNathan
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
just parent those objects to the circle? :D :D ;)

no, seriously, a circle is 2D, and your scene world is 3D. what constitutes an object being "in" the circle? does the circle define an infinitely long invisible tube? or a sphere? or is it only those objects who are bisected by the circle?

:nathaN

mccollom73
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I was thinking of doing the parent, I'm trying to rig a rubix cube. I had the idea, of anything that's inside the circle, could be parented, run another script that uparents it, and so on.

animatedfox
01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
This could be way off the mark but...in theory it seems like it could work.
Looking for way to have swapable parenting at that level seems like it could get crazy.
What about a group of lattices.
One for each row vertically.
One for each row horizontally.
Not sure if it would be better to have each cube as a separate piece of geo or maybe try combining all your cubes into one and lattice them.
As with most things like this in maya you never know for sure until you try.
I wonder...Hmmm.

EDIT:
NOPE...just tried it...it works at first but then the deformation order goes crazy when trying to rotate things too much.
Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.