PDA

View Full Version : Wrist 50 % orientation on YZ, axis 100%X 3Dsmax

Hydraa
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi all !!!

I made a robot for my student movie but i got a problem with the rigging part. Particularly on the wrist. Actually i designed the wrist to get 50% of hand rotation on Y and Z axis but 100% on X axis. But I don't know how to rig it correctly.
Just to know I use CAT to rig the most parts of my character.

I tried to use a rotation constraint but i can't limit each axis. So i tried to use 3 dummies (one per axis) and then use the wire paramaters to link them on the wrist but it react wierd...

Here is a printscreen of the hand
The green piece is the wrist i need to rig
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5296/wristrigging.jpg

any help is welcome

(sorry for my bad english)

MattRennie
01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I would try and do it with a Float Expression controller myself. One for each axis. I've not used CAT much but I would be very surprised if you cant use these.

It would then just be a case of creating a scalar pointing to the relevant hand rotation axis and writing the expression to be something along the lines of 'ScalarName / 2' for a 50%

Also you need to make sure that you are driving the rotation on a bone that isnt the parent of the hand otherwise i think you'll get a dependancy loop. In situations liek this i usually add a 'twist' bone as a child of the forearm which can then be driven by the hand bone which is also a child of the forearm.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.