PDA

View Full Version : What processor to go for for rendering?

Velocamonkey
06-02-2002, 10:33 AM
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (Socket A) OEM (CP-022-AM)

First off, does this mean this runs at 2.1 GHZ?
Okay, would it be better to go for the above processor or a Pentium 4 processor that goes up to 2.2GHZ? I realise the AMB one is much cheaper, but from your experience which will have better render times?
Or if they're really closely matched in speed then I might as well go for the AMD because it#s way cheaper.
THANKS.

3DMadness
06-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Although it runs at 1.795ghz it is faster than a Pentium 4 2.2ghz when rendering with 3dsxmax or maya. Also, I would recommend you to wait ultil June 10th because this is the day when the new Athlon with Throughrbread (damn, can't spell this name... if it's wrong someone correct it please) core and manufactured with 0.13 tecnology it's supposed to be realeased, and it means less heat and can reach faster clocks. But it will still be called Athlon XP, just be carefull to get some higher than XP 2200+.
Cheers!

3D Madness

ZrO-1
06-02-2002, 03:46 PM
The Athlon XP 2100 and the Pentium4 2.2 should give you roughly the same performance overall. The athlon will be a little faster with certian things and the pentium4 will be a little faster with others. Those are the cold hard facts. Now if you wanted my opinion as to wich to get I'd say "Go get the Athlon!" it's got much more bang for the buck.

Like 3D said, if you can wait 'till after the 10th (or more like towards the end of the month) the new Throughbreds ;) will be out.

Velocamonkey
06-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Cool, thanks for the response. I think I will wait for the thoroughbreds, but this was the line up I was thinking of buying:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (Socket A) OEM (CP-022-AM)

Asus A7V333 (Socket A - AMD Thunderbird/Duron motherboard) (MB-009-AS)

Maxtor DiamondMax D740X 60GB (HD-002-MD)

ASUS V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (AGP) - Retail (GX-002-AS)

GlobalWin CAK38-II (HS-001-GL)

ATX MidiTower 300W ATX12V AMD/P4 + Front USB

I'm gutting my old computer to get the CD RW and DVD drive and I've got an external Zip Drive. I know I'll have to get DDR RAM as well, anyone know where I can get this cheap in the UK??

This is obviously gonna cost quite a bit, but is it a good line up? Any advice? What RAM should I have minimum?

Thanks.

ZrO-1
06-02-2002, 08:02 PM
For rendering the more memory you've got the better. I'd say drop in 1 GB (or two :p) of PC-2700 (333 mhz) DDR-SDRAM from crucial. Try to get CAS 2/2/2 latency sticks. The Via (or is it Sis?) chipset on the Asus motherboard will use the extra speed and low latency in the 333MHz, CAS 2 memory.

Velocamonkey
06-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay thanks! Looks like I'll be spending a lot on Memory. Any UK online stores you can recommend?

3DMadness
06-02-2002, 11:32 PM
I would recommend you give www.pricewatch.co.uk a try.
Also, I recommend you to use the Thermalright AX-7 heatsink with a Panflo or Enermax 80mm adjustable rpm fan, it will keep your system cool and really quiet. ;)
Cheers!

3D Madness

Velocamonkey
06-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Thanks mate, I was wondering what kind of fan to go for.

Neil
06-03-2002, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't recommend the a7v board.
It is very unstable, unless you enjoy the challenge of getting it stable (it's possible, but it think i pulled all my hair out in the process).

Consider it a fore warning. If you don't care, then go ahead, but don't say i didn't warn you :)

And btw, dont' check these big corporate sites for reviews they hardly ever wanna say a product is bad. Just look at the forums and user webpages for the a7v and you'll see a lot of people complaining. They wanted a recall, but i don't think it ever happened.

Neil
06-03-2002, 05:47 PM
So you think there will a price drop then on the older thunderbirds and stuff? When do you think it'll happen?

ZrO-1
06-03-2002, 06:06 PM
T-bird price drops should be announced the same day as the T-bred release.

Velocamonkey
06-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Cool, thanks for the warning, if not the a7v board can you recommend what I should go for? Thanks.

3DMadness
06-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Man, I've never heard about stability issues with an A7V333... BTW, I've heard it's one of the best boards in the market. The most common problems are realleted with bad RAM and lack of drivers like the 4in1.
Cheers!

3D Madness

Yamamanama
06-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Right first of all places to get this stuff in the UK -

www.ebuyer.com (cheapest on just about everything component-wise)
www.dabs.com
www.scan.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk
www.tekheads.co.uk

As for recommendations for parts. Any chance you could stretch to a dual system? If rendering is your thing that'd be your best bet.
And yup AMD all the way. The only benchmarks I've seen giving the P4 the edge were Lightwave on tomshardware but most people find their benchmarks a bit dodgy.

How about this spec -

A7M266-D Dual Athlon motherboard.

Or for a single processor board -
Abit AT7/KX7-333 (depending on if you need legacy PS2 connectors or more than three PCI slots), Asus A7V333 RAID (I'd suggest a board with RAID as it's always handy to have four IDE connectors instead of two, you can put your CD/DVDROM and CDRW on their own channel), Epox 8K3A+. They're all good boards, have similar specs and all perform to within a couple of percent of each other.

2 x AthlonMP 2000+ processors. If on a budget I wouldn't go for the top speed. The next one down won't be much slower and you won't pay so much of a premium.

For a single processor you could go for an Athlon XP 1800+ as they're under a hundred quid and are the best value Athlon at the moment. Could always swap it out for a thoroughbred when they arrive :)

1 or 2 1gb registered DDR 2100 DIMM's (if you're on a budget I'd get a couple of 512mb registered DIMM's instead). I'd go on 1gb minimum. If you go for the dual board it has to be registered to give you room for expansion (you can only use the first two slots using non registered and can't mix the two types).

For a hard drive I'd definitely recommend the Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb cache drives. Using an 80gb version of that series here (also available in 100gb and 120gb)

I wouldn't get the GF4 Ti 4600. The 4400 performs at 95% of the speed for about 60 less. Also has all the same advantages - dual head, DVI connector/s etc. You can also overclock it to 4600 speeds quite easily :). Or if again you're on a budget the 4200 is much cheaper and isn't that far behind speedwise

2 x Thermalright AK7 HSF's with quiet 80mm fans (papst or evercool). Believe me your ears will thank you.

Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 431W ATX Power Supply (Very quiet, manual fan control and excellent quality)

Globalwin GW802 case (nice price and excellent quality for the money)

Right I've rambled on far too long. Hope some of this helps :)

Yamamanama
06-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Ah I see you have set yourself a budget from the other thread. I'll get back with my best recommendation for under 1000 :)

Yamamanama
06-04-2002, 11:44 PM
Could you stretch to 1185? For that you could get -

From dabs.com -

Asus A7M266-D dual Athlon Motherboard
2 x Athlon MP 1800+ 1.53Ghz SoA processors
2 x 512MB PC2100 registered DIMM's

From overclockers.co.uk -

2 x Thermalright AX7 Heatsink's
Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 431W ATX Power Supply

From Tekheads.co.uk -

4 x Evercool 80mm 3 pin fan's (two for processors, two for case)
Globalwin GW802 ATX Midi Tower - No PSU

From ebuyer.com -

Western Digital Cavier SE Hard Drive 80Gb EIDE 7200rpm 8Mb Cache
InnoVISION GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb DDR DVI TV-Out AGP

ilasolomon
06-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Throughbreds? i thought it's SLEDGEHAMMER! :)
ayway, AMD is your choice, & AMD chipset MoBo also.
don't buy non-DDR & under 1Gb of ram! & also don't buy anything
but nVidia family, specialy GForce Quadro series! :)

Yamamanama
06-05-2002, 12:36 AM
The Sledgehammer (now called the Opteron) is the new 64bit AMD chip. Not out for a little while yet and it'll carry a rather large premium at first.
It'll also require new chipsets, boards and a completely new variety of HSF so it'll take a while for that to settled down.

Thoroughbred is the new AthlonXP. Basically exactly the same in terms of speeds, just a smaller die size so it runs cooler.

MadMax
06-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 3DMadness
But it will still be called Athlon XP, just be carefull to get some higher than XP 2200+.

The XP 2200+ IS the Thoroughbred.

Velocamonkey
06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Thnaks Yamamanama for that list, I'm thinking of upping my budget a bit if I can manage it.
Are Dual Processors a tricky feat to setup and stuff?

Yamamanama
06-05-2002, 10:48 AM
No more of a challenge to setup than a single processor system. The forums at www.2cpu.com are full of helpful people if you have any problems.

Modern systems are much easier to setup now anyway.
Just need to whack the cpu's, HSF's and memory onto the motherboard. Put the motherboard onto the tray (if the case has a removeable tray).
Add PSU to case. Stick video card and the other cards if you have them into the motherboard.
Connect fans, power connectors, case led's and power switches to the motherboard.
Install floppy, HDD, CD drives. Connect power and IDE cables.

Power up and install Win2k/XP pro :). Then struggle with installing your 3D app of choice and the countless plugs/scripts we all use :)

Probably missed something out but I haven't slept in far too long and should scoot to bed.

There are a few issues with the Asus dual board but it's only a matter of setting jumpers and there are plenty of people with the same board who'll help you out in the 2cpu forums.

Again I hope some of this helps. Gis a shout with your final budget and I'll recommend some new parts to spend all of your hard earned cash on ;)

Tellerve
06-08-2002, 07:45 AM
If you go with a duallie system don't go under 400watts with a good named PSU (power supply unit). If you go the single processor route then I'd still advise you to get a bit beefier of a psu than 300watts. I have read posts of people having trouble with the 4600 and it not getting enough juice. It could have been their motherboard, granted, but it shouldn't be much more for a 350 or possibly a 400. Just a thought.

Tellerve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.