PDA

View Full Version : Illustration: Portland Studios (Photoshop)

bmcallister
10-16-2003, 07:39 PM
http://www.portlandstudios.com/profiles/gerard_justin/portfolio/images/high-res/015.jpg

http://www.portlandstudios.com/profiles/gerard_justin/portfolio/images/high-res/016.jpg

http://www.portlandstudios.com/profiles/gerard_justin/portfolio/images/high-res/014.jpg

So finally I figured out how to put images into the post. Sorry. Anyway, here are a few from Portland Studios. What do you think?

Brannon

Velk
10-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Very nice, I especially like the piraty looking one where the CD look like gold coins. I was wondering though, is that computer monitor a LSD "Liquid Sulfer Display" cause it is giving off some serious yellow rays.

I also really like the "if I were a monster" one where the kid looks evil and the monster shadow looks rather confused, or surprised.

DANKA
10-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Only one reply? for these images?
...sometimes I don't understand...
are beautifulst! beautiful color and composition... very professionals!
I love especially the second one and third!

Compliments!

>>>four stars for me!<<<:thumbsup:

DANKA
10-17-2003, 12:55 PM
I have seen your site!!!
you are fantastic!

Cool!:buttrock:

luigi
10-17-2003, 02:49 PM
I am agree with danka

this is material for be in the gallery.

love the style nothing to citique.

:thumbsup:

kaiknight
10-17-2003, 05:21 PM
I like these, too

Maybe they haven't enter here.........:wavey:

Stonepilot
10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
I enjoyed your site. Very cool work.

LemoNHearT
10-17-2003, 05:43 PM
i really like them,1st 1 very cinematic,2nd 1 is cute n mistery,3rd 1 is very comedy feel.nice randering
:>

gmoran
10-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Hey Brannon!

Nice work man! :thumbsup:

Checked out the site too, you've got a good group of talented people there!
Are you new, I haven't heard of Portland Studios before?
I'm seeing some cool things coming out of your workshop!

Cheers

bmcallister
10-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Actually we just started up about 5 months ago. Currently, we all either just graduated from college in May---or in the case of Cory Godbey and Chris Koelle are still in college.

I'm trying to find our "tipping point" for public awareness----see Amazon.com if you don't know what that means---Any thoughts on how to promote ourselves?

Brannon

pearson
10-18-2003, 08:17 AM
wow!! :eek: really great pics!!

This needs a Plug!!

As for awareness...have you tried Sijun (http://forums.sijun.com/) or ConceptArt.org (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/) or EatPoo (http://www.eatpoo.com/phpBB2/index.php) or ShaneGlines (http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/shanesboard/)? They are all more 2d focused than cgtalk tends to be. Most of the pros around here are 3d people, while there they tend to be 2d...

Please post more!:applause:

jsteel2001
10-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Amazing work. Composition, color, gesture... wow. It's all there. :)

facial
10-18-2003, 08:36 AM
You guys works is really cool . I can wait to see your movie.
Keep post up more about your project. :thumbsup:

bmcallister
10-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I asked Justin to write out some of his methods on the Samauri piece. Here's what he had to say:

Digital Illustration
Justin Gerard

Method
Castle's Fall

While I was in college, I learned to paint in oils. I had an old HOW magazine, that featured a then newer illustrator named Gregory Manchess, who was quickly gaining wild popularity among art directors around the country for his powerful, bold style of realism. I found his work fascinating. It relied heavily on subtlety of idea rendered with flawless compositions and powerful color. I learned everything I could from that magazine and the following article is a reflection of that. So, before I begin I will say that you should really only read the following if you can't get your hands on that HOW magazine. My method is a mere shadowy reflection of this master's work.

I begin with a series of thumbnails, however many it takes to capture the feeling or idea I am trying to convey. Dozens of these tiny drawings go into the creation of a single piece. I will often devote a lot of time to this step because this is really the most critical part of the piece. The thumbnail is where I work out all the compositional problems in my mind. Once the idea is fixed in my mind, rendering it is simple, regardless of its size or the medium chosen to render it in. If I am successful in working out my problems in the beginning I won't have to fight with the piece later on.

This is the most exciting part of the art for me. This is where things are being created from nothing and where ideas that are in my head are taking tangible form on paper. This is where the purple elephants and midget hotdogs come to life. This is the most free and expressive part of the entire project for me. I am limited by nothing but my own creativity.

Once I have arrived at a thumbnail that grabs me I will then transfer it to my final sketch. A sketch for a digital piece should be rendered very nearly the way that you would draft a drawing for an oil painting. I try to work out all the lighting in my head during this step. I donít want to do much shading at all for this type of piece, just the linework and solid shadows are integral. My drawing will generally be completely covered by my digital work, so I donít try to do any finishing work on it unless it is to help work out on paper how I will solve a visual problem later on when i render it digitally.

After I finish my sketch I scan it into Photoshop, crop it and adjust it so that the composition works well on the screen. For this piece I sketched the background independently of the samurai so that i could move the samurai around in an effort to solve some compositional problems in my thumbnail. This ability to arrange a drawing in this fashion is one of the most powerful features of the digital medium.

Now I will begin to emulate Gregory Manchess' methods rather closely. Once he finishes and transfers his drawing to his canvas in oil, he will put a solid layer of acrylic color down on the canvas over the drawing to lock it in and to tone the canvas. This is very important because the color used here will set the mood for the scene. Whether it will be mysterious or powerful, or sad. For Castle's Fall I chose a pale slate blue for the background because I wanted the scene to be a somber, powerful one. To achieve the acrylic over oil sketch effect of Manchess' work, I create a new layer, fill it with the slate blue color and turn it to multiply.

I now work quickly with the Wacom tablet to block in my darks and generally establish my shadows. To do this I create additional multiply layers and use Payne's grey or other analogous colors to block in my darks. Since I am working in an oil style I work dark to light. Eventually I will begin to block in colors in these shadow multiply layers to get a feel for how I am going to render the colors over them. From here on out I generally use a brush of my own design that has the opacity set to pen pressure and rides at about 15% flow and 50% opacity litter.

Once I finish this I create a normal layer and begin to work the background until it is essentially complete. For the background I stick pretty close to a reference shot of some sort. For this piece I stuck to about 4 or 5 different pieces. These were of clouds, sunsets and Japanese castles.
After the background is finished I move on and begin to work the focal point of the picture, which for this piece was the downcast face of the samurai. If this element of the picture does not work, then the rest of the piece will fail. So often I will spend the most time here. This is probably the most exciting part of the piece for me. This is when you begin to see your image take shape. Its like a ghost slowly coming out of the screen.

From here i simply work outward working slowly lighter and lighter. I do not put final highlights in until the very end. I do a lot of color mixing during this stage. The ability to use the eyedropper tool is one of my greatest allies in the digital medium. The ability to pull color and subtlety blend it into other colors is extremely useful. As such I have taken a lot of pointers from John Singer Sargent in how I mix my colors. I will blend a color using a lower opacity of brush until I arrive at what I want and then set the opacity up again to use it. For those of you who will be using Painter, there is an easier way of achieving this by simply using the blender tool to mix your colors. That is by far my favorite aspect of that program. I spend a great deal of time during this stage playing with the piece and building the forms.

Once I have finished this aspect of the art I will make a layer for highlights and finishing touches on the picture. I will zoom in and spend some time refining everything.
Finally I adjust the colors using Hue/Saturation and Color Balancing to resolve any final issues with the color.

olijosman
10-20-2003, 06:25 PM
very good color and volume dominion :beer: great work:thumbsup:

bmcallister
10-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Our site seems to be getting such a great amount of traffic today that the server is having trouble with the bandwidth. The images may not work right now. I apologize for any problems you experience.

Rubberduckie
10-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Great colors n lighting for the pics...fantastic! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.