PDA

View Full Version : Escape Studios Course -- good idea or not so much?

Stripes
01-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I have yet to begin learning Maya, and I'm looking to get into a self directed online course. I found this one on Escape Studios that looks promising, but I don't know enough about the industry to know if it's worth the time and money (hopefully, I can get my school to pay for the majority of it, and I'll be working on it an hour or so each day during school).

This is the course: http://www.escapestudios.com/maya-training/

Do you have any advice for me? Is it worth the money? (I'd be using the student price, since I'm in high school.) Do you think I could complete it in four or five months?

Thanks!

Gooner442
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
you'll find the general opinion of this course is very good, I've done it myself. If I remember rightly it's quite possible to complete in 5 months. The tutors are very good and it's well structured for beginners.

One other option for you is a subscription to digital tutors, they have lots of good stuff too.

FrankIowa
01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
I went through the Escape Maya self-directed online training. If you work through the examples, take notes, and practice you will learn a lot. My first introduction to Maya was the Escape "Maya Core" (now entitled "Maya Essentials" I believe). There have been some updates for Maya 2011.

There are times when you have to watch a section a few times to catch all the nuances. Also, make sure to watch the associated videos (for some lessons) so you understand what the instructor is doing. I watched the associated background topic videos and practiced and then when I watched a main lesson I understood better. Lesson files can be downloaded for some lessons so that you do not have to start from scratch.

I found the instruction "more patient" than courses taught by instructors in the U.S. I have used other training videos and courses, but the Escape lessons tended to be well-structured and I learned things not taught in other training courses.

Stripes
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'm going to go for it :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.