PDA

View Full Version : Feather help

dremer
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

So I need to make a bird with dynamic feathers, and have been hitting a lot of walls with this problem. I've attempted to use various scripts and plugins out there such as dodo, but haven't been getting great results. With dodo for example. things are just getting really really heavy and slow, and it's taking hours to load feathers, let alone work with them and adjust them.

I've been trying to find a way to attach geometry to hair systems, but haven't been finding much either.

So basically, does anyone have a good feather solution? Any help, advice or links would be really appreciated. Thanks!

merlino3d
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I think that the way to attach geometry to an hair system is with bones.
Just create the bones, create the curve, make it dynamic (in the hair menu) and create a splineIK entering in the tool options leaving selected just "Root on curve". Then select the first bone of the chain, the last one and the curve in the hairSystem(n)OutputCurves.

dremer
01-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

I think that won't work for me though. It sounds like that will create something like a dynamic arm for example. What I need is to instance feathers onto my hair curves, so that I have a fully feathered bird with dynamics.

I've been looking for solutions, and it seems like shave and a haircut might do this quite easily?

dremer
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I found a good way of placing geometry using a script that someone on cgtalk suggested

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/rvinstancer

It's works amazingly well for placement. Does anyone know a good way to take the feather geometry I place on the bird body, and then add dynamics to it so it reacts like feathers?

Thanks!

HowardM
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
tried ncloth?
wonder if it would get bogged down... hmmm off to test ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.