PDA

View Full Version : dumb question but does material dynamic not work for animated procedural maps?

joconnell
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Heya Folks,

I'm trying to make some blood setups and one element is that when a drop hits the ground, it makes a shape mark particle which I want to put an animated gradient on to so that it gradually bleeds outwards and I can make an animated mask for the compositor to colour correct with. I could be going mad but on my copy of max 2010 64 sp1, Material dynamic seems to only work correctly with particle age and no other procedural. I've tried the scanline and vray with this, and it seems to constantly ignore particle age and only use the current colour value of the material for ever particle with that material, rather than using the value that matches with the particles age. I've tried all sorts of combinations of particle age sync and even stick the material into a multi sub mat to get access to the other sync options but no dice. Will material dynamic only work with particle age and image sequences? Is there any other way to get pflow to use an animated procedural texture and keep sync with particle age?

Am I going mad, doing something stupid or is it really dumb that this doesn't already work?

A rather confused John

JohnnyRandom
01-19-2011, 07:20 AM
from one confused john to another :) I really do not know why that doesn't work but you can...

use an image sequence instead of a procedural. In the Bitmap Texture options scroll to the bottom and open the Time Rollout and enable Sync Frames to Particle Age and choose Hold for the end position.

Also look into Bercon Maps (http://www.ylilammi.com/BerconMaps.shtml), he has a Gradient Ramp that syncs to particle age, it is pretty slick :)

noouch
01-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I've had this issue before, and got around it by dropping a Cache operator in my event and caching the particles.

joconnell
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
A regular memory cache or a box #3 cache disk? Definitely an odd one alright - should be a basic that just works! I must admit for tools such as pflow / vray / fume and so on, it's much better having external developers that have a look at these issues and solve them. Oleg's doing brilliant work with the various boxes but it'd be great to have him keep a hand in on the base pflow. Rumour is he's doing a pflow 2 at the minute?

JohnnyRandom
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I've had this issue before, and got around it by dropping a Cache operator in my event and caching the particles.

hah, no kidding, that is an odd workaround to say the least. That being the case it should work without it. True puzzler :surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.