PDA

View Full Version : Rigging clothing

Xetil
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I hav two questions, not sure exactly how to ask but i hope you will understad.

If i have a character in T-pose and I modell a lot of creases and folds in the clothing, how would i go about rigging this character so that the character can move in a way that looks nice, and not ruin the creases and folds? Is there some tips, suggestions or guidelines i could follow?

And if i would want to have a full body under the clothing, how could I rig so that both the body and clothing move well together?

Thank you in advanced, hope anyone can help me:)

RecklessCowboy
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
You probably want the same weighting for the cloths as the body. Just paint the skin weights for the body first, bind the cloths to exactly the same rig, then transfer the weighting over. I use Comet Save Weights, but you can probably use Maya's Copy Weights instead.

That way the cloths deform exactly the same as the body. You might need to adjust some weighting, and maybe use a poseDeformer in some places. Hope that helps!

Xetil
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you, im not an expert in that area but i am familiar with weights so i will keep this in mind. But when im sculpting the folds and creases, isnt there anything i need to have in mind? Placement of creases or something like that?

nuternativ
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
you can make a lo-poly version of the cloth with no folds, copy weight from the body to it, adjust some weight in the problem area would be a lot easier with a mesh like this. finally, copy weight to the hi-poly one.

I always do this with character's hair that has pieces of geometry. hope this works with your case.

MattRennie
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you, im not an expert in that area but i am familiar with weights so i will keep this in mind. But when im sculpting the folds and creases, isnt there anything i need to have in mind? Placement of creases or something like that?

One thing to bear in mind, is that due to their very nature, folds and creases occur as the cloth crumples and stretches over the bodymass beneath it. If Im understanding your question correctly, you are asking how to go about rigging your pre sculpted creases so they look good in motion. The plain and simple answer is you cant with just one set of creases, as they are specific to a particular pose! By their very nature, if you have sclulpted creases aroudn the character in his TStance, then these creases would change as the character began moving his arms around etc.

One thing you could look at however is creating a series of different sculpts which you could bake to a normal map or a displacement map and then procedurally drive these as the body moves into different poses.

Xetil
01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
thank you for great answers

Cadedra
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
MattRennie is very right. Creases change with movement, and if you pursue to make this effect in a realistic way, you should at least model a different set of creases for several "key poses" that you should apply according to a skin-morphing effect. That is what I would do, instead of having several normal or displacement maps as Matt suggests (hey, Matt's procedure is GREAT, and you might chose his way instead of mine if it satisfies your needs better, which is very possible) Just let me point the differences:
My procedure is harder in the sense that you need to have a consistent topology in your clothes that suits all possible combination of creasing. This is very hard and bothersome to achieve. In this way, MattRennie's is far superior to mine, for you can model and skin your cloth the easiest way for you as normal/displacement map works pretty independent of the modeled topology. In my case, your cloth would need to be a thick field of small polygons, a tile, like if you were to make a physic simulation of cloth with some dynamic clothing plugin where you need this kind of topology because you do not know where the crease is going to occur. Then, having this topology, you would model the sets of creases by painting on the surface with displacement brushes (I do not know Maya, but I am sure it must have something like that).
Why using my method instead of Matt's? Because mine provides finer-control over the geometry, IMO. And also because I love BIG creases! :cool: ... But maybe you don't need them so big. And my method takes a huge time and effort as well, and skinning could be a pain!

In the end, I am not saying my method is better. It is just another approach. Matt's is excellent as well!:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.