PDA

View Full Version : FUR characters lighting-help required

threeDeepond
01-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi guys!! :wip:
I m finding it difficult to light a scene with furred characters in it.i m using maya. i know its memory dependent ones. i have just started lighting these..so i need a help in finding a workflow for lighting.
If any folks can suggest how to setup inbetween the following ----,optimize fur settings and render settings for faster + realistic images, maya render + mental(fg,gi). settings for render passes.
Basically i m looking out for fast and quality renders having preference for render passes (so that i can do post-tweak).

it wud be great if the favour is done at the earliest.
regards

kanooshka
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
If you're really trying to get fast renders with fur, I'd recommend rendering the fur in a separate pass without raytracing. Setup some depth mapped lights that match the rest of your image and then composite the passes together.

threeDeepond
01-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks Kanooshka.:)!!! I would try that out for sure..
Though i tried lighting fur with Mental ray, a light setup as a shadow caster for an object(fur) onto the ground gives some weird artifacts of the shadow. I tried to play around the settings though, but due to my system configuration which is kind of slow, i had to restrain from testing for most of the time.:sad:

Appreciated would be, if any source of reference for lighting fur is provided.Googling the same was hard to find. Anyways, i will try it again.

Regards

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2011, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.