PDA

View Full Version : open EXR or Tiff?

disneyschumi
01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
I guys i am working in new production house and we are into our first Product.. I have few questions and i hope to find answers here...

1. Which is the best format to render out files... open EXR or Tiff?
2. What is the added advantage of rendering in 32bit flot compared to normal 8Bit?
3. What are the general passes u need to take for Composition? For Better Composting in Post?

Thanks
Utsav

playmesumch00ns
01-14-2011, 06:34 AM
1) OpenEXR. Aside from the 16-bit half float format, it has better compression and is quickly becoming as pervasive as (if not more than) float tiff.

2) It allows you to do more manipulation on the image without introducing artefacts such as banding. Also you can easily represent super-bright values (i.e. values above 1).

3) Depends on what you want to do really. You might want to output individual lights, id mattes to control individual elements in comp, shader sub-passes like diffuse and specular to rebalance the look of your materials etc.

disneyschumi
01-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks Buddy...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2011, 04:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.