View Full Version : z-depth in Combustion from Mental Ray for Maya

lazzhar
10-16-2003, 12:07 AM
if you have a time please answer this last question
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93392
thanks in advance.

Chris
10-16-2003, 12:51 AM
So can you render out the Z-Buffer as a separate image file from Maya? (like a targa or something?) if you can, you can use the compound blur operator to blur portions of your image based on the luminance values of your Z-buffer image (you need to apply x2 compound blur operators to get near & far blur) this works really well - better looking than the 3D post DOF operator...

lazzhar
10-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Figure out that I tryed to extract the deph channel rendered from MR but noway, Combustion didnt know it.But photoshop does(with the help of a plugin from highend3d.com)

lazzhar
10-23-2003, 10:27 PM
My problem has been fixed by upgrading to Combustion 3.
Thanks.

HardHitta
10-27-2003, 07:44 PM
How was it fixed, tell the rest of us :thumbsup:

alphatron
10-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Does it now recognize Zpics? If so, wow!

lazzhar
10-27-2003, 09:44 PM
I was suffring from that it was impossible for me to get the z-depth channel rendered directly from Mental Ray For Maya. This z channel that's included in a Maya iff file could not be recognized by Combustion 2 or 1. But Right now I could extract it by using Operator|3d Post| Show G-buffer.
Someone has mentioned this way for C2 but it didnt work for me that's why I asked here. Finally when I used C3 this command worked very well.
HardHitta, for ZPic, I didnt try it. May be I'll try later :thumbsup:
-laz

dg
10-28-2003, 11:40 AM
I've heard tha C3 still without support for zpic files, that's a problem that dscreet will insist, I think they want everybody using RPF files generated by Max :)

But who knows, I'll wait for you test lazzhar :)

See ya!

alphatron
10-28-2003, 01:04 PM
No Z-Pics means combustion is completely useless for me. Too bad. I'll stick with Digital Fusion and After FX for the time being. Was looking forward to coming back home to Combustion too :(

crgowo
10-28-2003, 04:52 PM
So does combustion3 have any problems with iff files zdepth info? It would always crash on me when i did a 3d composite using iff with zdepth. And not just for compound blur but for actual composites. like if i have a large scene with alot of layers.
thanks

lazzhar
10-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Hey, I cannot render a ZPic from Mental Ray for Maya !! like the other file format the renderer woul render the z-buffer in a separate Maya iff file, so I'm sorry cuz I dont have any ZPic files that has z-buffe embeded to test Combustion 3 with.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.