PDA

View Full Version : Eat 3D Proudly Releases - Portrait Production - Creating a Realistic Portrait in Maya

RikiB
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi Everyone! We released one of our most amazing DVDs yet. There have been many Maya users requesting DVDs and this is proudly our first one with many more to come. :)

More information on the product page here: http://eat3d.com/maya_portraits
http://eat3d.com/images/news/011111_maya_portraits.jpg (http://eat3d.com/maya_portraits)

DVD Description:

In this DVD, Instructor Tony Reynolds takes you through the process of creating and rendering out a portrait using Mental Ray in Maya 2011. Tony starts off by taking a previously sculpted head from ZBrush and shows you how to prepare and export the model for Maya. From there he goes into great detail on all the Maya setup and settings, lighting with Mental Ray, simple and advanced skin shader setup, skin textures, rendering eyes, rendering teeth, rendering a tongue, creating hair for the face and head, using render layers, and compositing the render layers in Photoshop.

About the Instructor:

Tony Reynolds has been training in the visual arts from a young age, and started his video game career in 2005. He has worked at Electronic Arts and Sony Online Entertainment, Austin, where he is currently the Lead Senior Character and Technical Artist.

About Eat 3D:

Eat 3D has been feeding your brain for over 3 years with some of the highest quality training that exists. Our goal is to provide you with the best education and get straight to the point with practical real world exercises that professionals actively use in production.

Animare
01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow! Just a question, could most of these techniques be applied to Max users, especially with the exporting to Zbrush? Will you guys be having anything similar to this for 3dsmax (or maybe even a small sub chapter on exporting to 3dsmax :) )

Great stuff!

RikiB
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
If you are using 3ds Max I would say most of the DVD would be frustrating because its specific to Maya. There is a portion in the beginning with taking it from zbrush to maya and also at the end with compositing, but not as much as you are probably hoping for.

There is nothing planned currently to do the same for 3ds Max with a portrait like this but we do have other videos coming out that will involve rendering out of 3ds max and compositing the render layers in photoshop. :)

Animare
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Wow, thats pretty honest! I really appreciate the honesty! Most other trainers would have said something like 'the same concepts can be applied bla bla bla'. +10 points for respect for Eat 3d now ;)

Thanks for that I look forward to seeing the other max render dvds, I'm planning to take a chunk of time and just increase my skills, Eat 3d will definitely be a place on my list!

Thanks

GQ1
01-11-2011, 11:20 PM
This looks excellent!

I have a few questions.

How did you groom the hair, or did you use shave for that?
If you only used Maya's tools then I would like to see a future tutorial of your grooming techniques in it.

Btw, It would be great to see a quick Vray for Maya setup with this same Model.

Anyway great looking tutorial.

PaulAdams
01-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Actually, it's great to see some love for Maya from Eat3D. I've already bought it, and I hope there's more for Maya to come.

Looks great, slightly disappointing theres not more on the texturing side but I guess thats not the purpose. Tony Reynolds does fantastic work, looking forward to getting stuck into this.

FrankIowa
01-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Good to see some Maya advanced training! I just bought a copy!

RikiB
01-12-2011, 01:17 AM
This looks excellent!

I have a few questions.

How did you groom the hair, or did you use shave for that?
If you only used Maya's tools then I would like to see a future tutorial of your grooming techniques in it.

Btw, It would be great to see a quick Vray for Maya setup with this same Model.

Anyway great looking tutorial.

He just uses the maya tools to groom the hair. :)

Thanks to everyone who has purchased the DVD. Please post a review here or anywhere once you go through it! :buttrock:

musashidan
01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Wow! Just a question, could most of these techniques be applied to Max users, especially with the exporting to Zbrush? Will you guys be having anything similar to this for 3dsmax (or maybe even a small sub chapter on exporting to 3dsmax :) )

Great stuff!

you should be able to follow along using Max, as the MR lighting/SSS setups are more or less the same. Just improvise when figuring out the Slate/Hypershade differences/similarities.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2011, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.